Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Continuous bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Continuous bleeding
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pancake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scarleteen,

I've had my period for about 6 years now and I am fairly regular. I got my last real period on October 4th, And I usually have a 32ish day cycle, I wasn't expecting my period until around November 7th or so.

Anways, about a week after my Oct 4th Period ended, I started getting brown blood. I sometimes get this in between cycles so I wasn't worried, however ever since then, (around October 11th), I've been bleeding non-stop, so for just over 20 days now of bleeding.

It doesn't really seem like a full period, but when I wipe I see brown blood, and lately it's been a little more red. It is also enough to fill a tampon, but I've only used one twice because I know it's not good to use tampons when you're not on your period. It has a thicker consisitency, so it won't really leak too much or go through pants, but there is enough to stain underwear.

So, I don't really know what's going on and I am really worried. There is no chance that I am pregnant. I am also donating blood on Monday and I don't know if I should do it or not. Do you guys have any idea what's going on and should I see a doctor?

Thanks a million.

[ 11-01-2008, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Pancake ]

Posts: 36 | From: North America | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been sexually active beyond the dry sex you've posted about here before?

If so, are you up-to-date with your yearly pelvic exams and STI tests? If not, that'd be the first place to start.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67112 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pancake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I haven't been sexually active beyond that point, and not in the past month or so.

I actually have never had a pelvic exam, or STI test. My doctor has never said anything about going in for those, and I'm not really comfortable getting a pelvic exam with him, I'd prefer to have a female doctor for that. Is it time for me to get/see a gynaecologist?

[ 11-01-2008, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Pancake ]

Posts: 36 | From: North America | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you start them by seeing your regular doctor and just explaining these symptoms. If he suggests a pelvic exam -- and he probably will -- you can then ask for a referral to an OB/GYN for it.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67112 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

All right. I appreciate the speedy replies. Also one more thing, if the doctor asks me if I am sexually active, what do I say? I know that I am from an emotional standpoint, but from a medical standpoint, I haven't exchanged any fluids or had any contact without clothes, therefore no chance of a STD or pregnancy.

[ 11-01-2008, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Pancake ]

Heather
Member # 3

You say what the case has been: "I've engaged in dry sex." (Or whatever else you have.)

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

njdas
Neophyte
Member # 40947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njdas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find out what's wrong it would be cool for you to post what it is...I'm having the same issue and I already went to the gynecologist. She put me on Birth Control and it stopped for a bit, but it's now coming back, and I'm not too sure as to why.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Hey,

I did go to the doctor and he put me on birth control as well. He said it was a common problem, I haven't started the BC yet though because I haven't gotten a real period to begin the cycles but I'll let you know what happens. I hope it gets better for you though!

And to Heather, thanks agian for your advice!

Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

I have another question concerning the same topic.

I stopped bleeding for about 4 days, and then started a few days ago agian. It's a bit redder this time than before but I still can't tell if it's a real period. Would it be okay for me to start taking the birth control pills tomorrow? (The Sunday Start?)

pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could ask a pharmacist or your doctor about this. If your doctor said to wait until you were sure it was a period, you should wait. If he was unclear, call and ask [Smile] Never hurts to double check.
I do know that birth control can be started at any time during a cycle, but is usually started during a period to improve pregnancy protection. Maybe your doctor or pharmacist will say to star right away if you're not at risk for pregnancy right now?

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Thanks pyro_angel : ) My doctor did want me to start right away. I ended up starting Sunday, but I didn't really have a period so it was more of just starting at any time in the cycle.

I know that if you start on your period, you will get your next period when you're on the placebo pills. Should I expect my next period to happen on the placebos too or will it be different since I started at a random time in my cycle?

pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can take some time to adjust to the pills, but you generally should get your withdrawal bleed during your placebo week. It doesn't always happen that way, though, of course.
Hope that's helpful!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.