Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Completely frustrated with cramps. D:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Completely frustrated with cramps. D:
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completely fed up with my body right now. Ever since my first period when I was 11, I have had unbearable cramps for the first day or two of my period. I finally came to my senses a little while ago and went to the doctor about it. So after an ultrasound and a blood test, my doctor really hasn't provided me with any answer other than a prescription for pain medication. Well, the medication helped a bit. It seemed to take the edge off the pain. However, I still felt nauseasous, had alternating constipation and diarrhea, and felt like I had exercised my abs way too hard because my abdomen ached so much. I used to also have relatively heavy periods that lasted about 5 or 6 days and were incredibly irratic (between 28 to 52 days between them).

About 6 months ago, I went on the pill (Alesse 28 if that makes any difference), and found that my "periods" have gotten progressively lighter, and they do come regularily (on the third day of my sugar pills), but I STILL get terrible cramps for the first too days. And it seems like my pain medication isn't working as well. My doctor had told me before that if it wears off before the 6 hours when I'm allowed to take it again, I can take a tylenol to "bridge the gap". I do that, but still it's only taking a bit of the edge off the pain. The pain just seems so weird to me, because I'm barely getting a withdrawl bleed at all. It lasts between 2-3 days, and is mostly brown sludge.

This all scares me because both of my dad's sisters have had problems with painful periods and other reproductive health. It took one of his sister's 7 years to conceive, and the other one recently had a hysterectomy and she's in her 30's...

My doctor says that she's convinced it's not endometriosis, but she didn't offer me any answers as to what it could be. I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who could maybe provide some insight as to what may be causing this?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to tell you, because I've had the same exact problem. Combined hormonal contraceptives made my cramps WAAAY worse, and I tried 7 different types. The doctors had no answer but "try a different pill". Have you considered this? There ARE some pills that are better than others in regards to treating cramps.

BUT, you're sounding like me, in that any bleeding at all from your uterus causes cramping, so it's sounding like the BCP won't help. My doctor suggested endometriosis or adenomyosis as a possible cause for me and put me on a "pseudopregnancy" regimen (read: 3 back-to-back packs of seasonale) but I was so miserable from the constant spotting pain that I quit, then my insurance ran out. I actually have an appointment tomorrow courtesy of a saner society, we'll see how it goes.

But yes! Sorry if this seemed like I made this all about me. You'd definitely do well to seek out a doctor more learned in menstrual problems. Find out what doctors are covered, then call them one by one and say "Hi, I'm interested in seeing Dr/NP _____, but first I'd like to know if s/he treats a certain condition. May I speak to him/her or their assistant/a nurse?" Don't make an appointment unless you like what you hear.

Good luck!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.