Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » birth control risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control risk
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay im on the pill yasmin and ive been on it since early july. my boyfriend and i took a break from having sex but previously we used the withdrawl method. if my boyfriend and i start having sex again and he ejaculates inside me, what is the chance of me getting pregnant? i take the pill on time every day and rarely skip one (rare meaning i only skipped one since july.)
Posts: 41 | From: US | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
The pill is 99,7 % effective with perfect use (92% effective with typical use). Some people use the pill alone while other couple with another birth control method. If you find that the protection the pill offers is not enough for you and your partner, then it might be definatly a good idea to couple it with another birth control method.

The withdrawal method though is not the most effective birth control method there is so if you want a higher level of protection, then you might want to took into other more effective birth control methods to couple with the pill such as the condom for example.

It's also worth remembering that the pill and the withdrawal method does not protect you against STIs.

Here, you might want to check this out:
Birth control bingo

[ 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding to what Cool said, and maybe making it more clear, as long as you take the pill correctly (which it does sound as though you have been doing, minus the one missing one), then you are pretty darn protected against pregnancy using the pill alone. And that goes with whether you use withdrawal as well, or if he were to ejaculate in you.

It doesn't matter that you've taken a break from sexual activities and started up again, all the matters is that you've continued to take your pill correctly. Does that better answer your question?

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.