Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC and sex without a condom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC and sex without a condom
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 4 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on the pill for quite some time now, but when I was single, I never took it when I was supposed to. I recently got in a new relationship and have been taking my pill perfectly for at least two months.

We usually combine my BC with a condom, but last night I decided I wanted to give it a go without one. We had sex without a condom twice, but he did not ejaculate inside of me either time. He also urinated about 30 mins before we had sex which I heard can help clear some sperm from the urethra that can be found in pre cum.

I am on the 14th day of my "cycle", which I have heard is the start of ovulation. Since I am on the pill, though, I do not ovulate, right? So this is nothing to worry about? My breasts and nipples have been sore the past few days which usually happens around this time and I was wondering if this means I am ovulating?

I suppose I worry because I know a few people whom have gotten preggo on the pill.

Thanks!

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The risk of pregnancy with only the pill in perfect use exists, but it is less than one percent. And you are correct: if you are using an OCP, your ovulation is suppressed. When women NOT on hormonal methods varies (it's not all on day 14), but that's still not relevant to you.

The bigger issue, especially since this is a new partner, would be your risk of sexually transmitted infections, which the pill offers no protection from.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather. I forgot to tell you guys we both were tested a few months ago. I saw his papers and he saw mine, we are both free of disease. That is what made it an easier choice to go unprotected.

So I am worrying for nothing, yes?

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, not knowing how new this relationship is, you really need that six-month window before ditching barriers to be as sure as you can.

For instance, if I have sex with one partner, then a month later get a test that's all clear, that isn't entirely an all-clear, particularly with HIV, which can take longer than a month to show up in a test. As well, there still is no HPV test for men.

But if you had the six months of monogamy and barriers, and then had those tests, then yes, your worries are minimal.

And regardless, with the pill, while pregnancies do happen with perfect use, they are rare, so it doesn't make sense to worry too much. If you find you can't let go of that worry, just add condoms back again so you can know you have a solid backup.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.