Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Signs...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Signs...
questionmarks
Neophyte
Member # 39597

Icon 5 posted      Profile for questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are some physical signs of pregnancy? I am getting paranoiac by the fact I MIGHT be pregnant... If anyone has any information, it will help a lot... Please and Thank you very much...
Posts: 8 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VERY first sign of pregnancy is a positive pregnancy test. This can be taken at 10-14 days after a risk.
Missed periods are a sign that can mean pregnancy as well as other things.
If you're worried, take a test to know for sure (if it's been 10 days). If it's been less than 5 days, you still have time to get Emergency Contraception.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
questionmarks
Neophyte
Member # 39597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, but what if i cannot go out and buy a pregnancy test? I just needed some physical signs as in what am I suppose to feel and is there any pains or changes in my body and such things like that
Posts: 8 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Courtenay said, there aren't any signs of pregnancy that you can trust except for a positive pregnancy test. A missed period can sometimes be an early indication of pregnancy, but it could also be caused by other things like stress, environmental changes, body changes, etc. What exactly was your pregnancy risk?

Why can't you get a pregnancy test? Could someone you know get one for you? If you are unable to get the things you need to have safer sex, including pregnancy tests, some sort of birth control method, condoms, yearly STI testing, etc., then it might be a good idea to step back from sex until you can get those things for yourself. Sex can be really wonderful, but it also carries risks with it and anyone who is having sex needs to be aware of those risks and be able to take the necessary steps to lower those risks.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A missed period.

That's pretty much it. Other "symptoms" are unreliable for several reasons. First, they won't happen right away. Symptoms are caused by the hormone changes in a pregnant woman's body. It takes time for the hormones to reach a level where they will cause any of those symptoms...generally much longer than it would take for you to get a positive test or miss a period (since those things happen when the hormone levels are still relatively low). Secondly, symptoms are different for every pregnant woman. Not everybody has the same ones. Some women may have everything you can think of, others notice basically none of the typical symptoms or may have things that are different than what is typically associated. Also, they can happen at different times for different women. Third, most of your typical pregnancy "symptoms" can be also caused by a ton of other things from a stomach flu to PMS. Finally, when you're worried about pregnancy and are trying to diagnose it by symptoms, it's pretty easy to see things happening in your body that may not be happening. In other words, if I'm super worried about having morning sickness (for instance), I can easily psych myself right into being sick. Or maybe I've picked up a stomach bug, but I'm so worried about being pregnant that I attribute it to that instead of what it really is.

Symptoms are just really really unreliable.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.