Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » worried- hsv related

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried- hsv related
thisismyscreenname
Activist
Member # 37104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisismyscreenname         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have a bit of a concern going on...
yesterday my bf and I hung out. We had condom protected sex twice, and manual sex (each receptively once). We also kissed and cuddled a lot.

Anyways, today he told me he woke up with a cold sore. I know he gets cold sores occasionally and we usually are extra careful. I also know that they are contagious even in the beginning stages, which he clearly didn't notice yesterday.

What worries me is this: If he was contagious yesterday, and neither of us knew, I am frightened of contracting hsv 1.

I know that I touched his lips with my hands, and I'm sure he touched his lips at some point throughout the day as well. I know there is a greater risk of me contracting it orally from the kissing, but I'm more scared that from touching his lips and then my genitals I may have contracted it genitally.

I've read mixed reports about whether it is even possible to spread the virus through mouth to hand to genital contact, but I am still worried.
Help?

Posts: 40 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamonds4lucy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamonds4lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed possible to spread HSV-I ("oral herpes") through hand-to-genital contact. Even though it's called "oral herpes", HSV-I can infect the genitals (and, even though HSV-II is called "genital herpes," it can infect the mouth- confusing, I know).

However, keep in mind that while mouth-to-hand-to-genital transmission is possible, that doesn't make it likely, especially considering that at the time your boyfriend didn't have any active cold sores.

Some info that might be helpful:

The STI Files: Herpes
HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough
Without sexual contact, could I have an STI?
Are coldsores herpes?
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

--------------------
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams.

Help Support Scarleteen!

Posts: 446 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thisismyscreenname
Activist
Member # 37104

Icon 9 posted      Profile for thisismyscreenname         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just worried because I heard hsv is most contagious the day before an outbreak...

also, I'm annoyed because we are always so careful, and there really was nothing we could have done about this (outside of not having any sexual contact ever), since the warning signs didn't appear until the next morning.

I guess there's nothing I can do now except to try not to worry to much and just hope I didn't get it [Frown]

Posts: 40 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed contagious when an outbreak is starting but before a sore is visible.

So, hopefully now your boyfriend has a better idea of what that tingling sensation the day or so before is like so make this less likely in the future. You guys might also better remember to wash your hands before manual sex (and avoid intimate contact when he is about to get a sore), which is a good habit, herpes or no herpes. We live, we learn.

Really, as Nicole said, oral transmission is going to be the greater concern here, even though genital transmission is not totally off the table, either. One extra perk in your corner is that if you two have been together a while, you've likely already been exposed to his Herpes and you may well have developed some immunity that can help.

But alas, there really isn't anything to do after the fact besides keeping your own immune system up.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.