Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancrgrl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still having problems with loss of libido on Yaz. I have heard/read that changes in libido while on the pill can work themselves out in about six months (I've been on Yaz since March and the pill for a year and a half). Is this true? Because I've also read that these changes can be permanent.

I'm currently back to seeing my nutritionist for some natural approaches to a couple of health issues but to also see if taking particular vitamins/oils can help to improve the function of the pill and help sort out these issues. A recent blood test also showed that my thyroid is functioning slightly slower than usual, which my nutritionist suspects could be part of the issue. I've just had very frustrating experiences on the pill, and though I love Yaz because I've felt the most like myself on it, it is difficult to experience a loss of libido. As my general doctor said, the pill just isn't meant for everyone. I'm still considering the copper-t IUD, but I can't go back to my gyno until September or October because my insurance only covers every six months [Frown]

--------------------
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" -Helen Keller

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hypothyroid (underactive thyroid), and let me tell you, this can seriously affect the sex drive. Are they going to put you on medication?

If yes, i'd give the thryoid meds a shot before you decide to stop the birth control pill. It could be the pill, but it could also be the thyroid.

If you were to stop the pill now, would you be comfortable using condoms as your only method of protection?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancrgrl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood test came back that it was functioning slightly under what it should be, so it wasn't significant enough to be a red flag for my doctor or my nutritionist. However, like I said, my nutritionist did say that this could be playing a part. I'm not going on any medication since it's not that significant, so that's why I'm trying out the natural approaches with the vitamins and stuff.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be entirely comfortable with just condoms. Back in November/December I briefly went off the pill (I was on Femcon at the time) because it was making me crazy and depressed, and my boyfriend and I just used condoms. We were incredibly careful so I really had no reason to worry, but I like the security of knowing that I have a backup method in case something goes wrong. Plus, I originally went on the pill to combat ovarian cysts and HORRENDOUS periods...I'd become so anemic during my period week that I could hardly function to go to class and stuff. I know condoms are highly effective when used properly...my boyfriend and I have never had a problem with them, but a part of me just needs the second method for peace of mind. Which is why I've been playing around with the idea of the IUD, which my doctor said she will absolutely do for me, but like I said because of insurance I can't get to her again until September or October, which is incredibly annoying lol.

So anyway, I'll talk to my nutritionist again about this when I see her on Tuesday and see if the vitamins are starting to do their job. I don't think my doctor would even think of prescribing something if my thyroid isn't significantly underactive, right?

--------------------

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Copper-T IUD, just so you know, tends to make periods heavier and more painful. So, if you're considering an IUD and have painful periods, you'd want to consider the Mirena, not the Copper-T.

You also have other options. Have you always been on YAZ and the Femcon before? Yaz is often one of the worst offenders with libido issues, so even just switching to a different pill -- or back to the Femcon -- may help. You might also consider methods which doesn't have estrogen at all, like Depo-Provera or the minipill. Your doc should be able to switch you to one of those other methods without an extra charge.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Thank you both for you responses. I know I've posted a lot on this topic, but it is incredibly frustrating to not feel 110% like myself, whether it's loss of sex drive or moodiness, etc.

I have been seriously considering an IUD...I had been aware of the fact that the Copper-T makes periods heavier, and I wouldn't want to go back to how my period used to be, let alone make it worse. I read on the Mirena website that it contains lower and steadier hormones than the pill...I'd assume that means that it has less side effects (moodiness, loss of sex drive, etc.) than the pill?

I was on Estrostep for 6 months and that made me very moody, I was on Femcon for 6 months and that made me depressed, anxious, paranoid, angry, the works. Then I was on Aviane (which I believe is the generic of Alesse) for about 3 months, but I still didn't feel entirely like myself in terms of moodiness issues, so that's when a new doctor (my current gyno) put me on Yaz (since March of this year). Perhaps I'll try to give her a call when I have a chance (which is hard with work lol) to see if maybe there's a pill with a different combination of hormones that could help the situation.

--------------------

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Oh one more thing that I forgot! My doctor had mentioned Depo as an option when I saw her in March, but she also said that she doesn't like prescribing the shot because once it's in the body and a person has adverse side effects, there's not much she can do about it. And I also know several people who were on Depo and had terrible experiences. Plus the weight gain is always a downside. As far as the mini pill...can you clarify how that works? I have a very vague idea...I've generally only heard of it compared to regular birth control pills in terms of effectiveness.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one thing doctors will often suggest is trying a more reversible method of progestin-only BC first....like the minipill. That way, you can see how you do with that hormone before going to depo, where you're stuck with it for three months or more.

Here's info on the minipill for you: Progesterone-Only Oral Contraceptives (Minipills)

Just to be clear, weight gain with depo isn't any more a given than it is with other hormonal methods, and for as many women who didn't like depo, you can usually find just as many who love it. I'd not say it's a method more people dislike than like, or have more side effects than others. rather, like anything else, it all usually comes down to individual preferences and body chemistry.

In terms of the Mirena, it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare it to the pill. The hormones in it aren't how the device works, there is just enough to counteract the effects that happen with an IUD without them, like cramping and heavier or more painful periods. Women using Mirena do not usually experience the same kinds of effects that women using BCPs and other combination hormonal methods do, since again, it's a very low-dose (and locally administered, too), and not about how the method itself works to prevent pregnancy.

By the by, there's no need to apologize. I know how frustrating it can be to be on the hormone roller-coaster with methods. If it didn't sound like you also needed help from hormones with painful periods, I'd have advised you just dump all the hormones for a while and use condoms with a barrier method to see how that goes.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Hmm interesting information/advice...thanks, I really appreciate it. I think after your advice and doing a little research on my own that Mirena might be a good option for me. Either that or maybe trying the mini pill.

Let me ask your opinion on something: right now I'm considering calling my gyno sometime this week (I work 8-5 so who knows when) and asking her about prescribing either a mini pill or a different combination pill, but if I were to skip a month of the pill before either starting Yaz again or another prescription, would that totally throw my body for a loop or help the situation at all?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

If you think you're going to stay on some kind of pill, you'll likely suffer less side effects if you do NOT take a month off in between.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Okay, makes sense. Thank you so much again for all of your advice (Smurf, too!)

--------------------

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Just an update: I saw my nutritionist today, and I mentioned that I'm still having some hormonal issues and that either (or both) the pill and my thyroid could be to blame, and she tested me for a deficiency in a vitamin that can help the thyroid issue, and it turns out I was pretty deficient in it. It's called thyroid energy, and it's a supplement for the thyroid and for general system wellness. So hopefully that will help get things in check and maybe the libido problem will be straightened out once and for all! Otherwise, the gynecologist will be hearing from me lol.

But thanks again! This website really puts my mind at ease about a lot of things.

--------------------

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Edit: I missed the part about you already having the thyroid levels checked! My bad. [Smile] ]

[ 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.