Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Menopause?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menopause?
His_Lil_Angel
Activist
Member # 24041

Icon 4 posted      Profile for His_Lil_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know im probably over reacting but i have recently been getting hot flushes and mood swings. i put this into google to see what it could possibly be. menopause came up that they are symptoms of. i read on for the other symptoms such as increased need to go to the toilet, vaginal symptoms and sleep trouble. i have been experiencing these as well. i have not however stopped having my period.
could this be possible? i am only 17, i thought you were usually over 40?
what else could it be if it is not this?
any help would be appreciated =]

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be any number of things, but it is beyond highly unlikely that this is early menopause. You could be having a flu or other virus, a change in your hormone levels due to puberty, a whole lot of things.

So, next time you see your doctor for a regular checkup, bring up these symptoms, but it's not at al likely they are due to menopause.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His_Lil_Angel
Activist
Member # 24041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for His_Lil_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanks
thats calmed me down a bit

i have to go to the family planning tommorow to pick up my contaceptive pill,

ill ask them about it =]

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be sure that if you have had intercourse lately, either without reliable birth control or suspect it may have failed, that you ask for a pregnancy test before you start the pill. Often, this is a given you won't have to ask for, but sometimes you will.

I don't know what your vaginal symptoms have been, but if you're urinating a lot, having big mood swings, and having things like vaginal dryness or increased discharges, you will likely want to check in for that. Same goes for being screened for sexually transmitted infections while you're there, especially since your current partner recently left prison, where STI transmission is usually pretty off-the-charts.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.