Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Periods And Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Periods And Pregnancy
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
say you have a 28 day cycle
and sperm can last 5 days in the vagina
if you have sex 4 days before your period is due does it mean that that period wouldnt rule out a pregnancy at all? or would it still rule it out?
don't the hormones have to be at a certain level to stop a period or something ?
we are using condoms, but i've been getting contradicting info on this and i want a bit of knowledge:P

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this situation occurred and you got your period, one could say pretty solidly a pregnancy did not occur, and it'd not be likely to occur after your period began, both because of there not likely being an egg to fertilize, and because of the improper types of fluids to make fertilization possible or likely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand :S

okay, for arguments sake say it was 2 days before
couldnt an egg fertilise just shortly after your period began
or even fertilise but not implant until after your period?
sorry i'm a pain but i'm not really the smartest :/

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not usually, no, because an egg isn't usually available at that time: it'd be highly uncommon for an egg to be released from the ovaries at that point in a woman's cycle.

Why don't you read this first, then pop back if it still isn't clear to you?

Get With the Flow: All About FAM

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

I think i understand, but i read some other posts that said you could ovulate at any time, and wouldnt that also mean that you could have sex just before your period without worrying about pregnancy, because it sounds a bit odd :S
*confused*

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

OR say the egg fertilised and hadn't implanted yet,
then you had your period and it travelled down your ovarian tube and them implanted after
or what if it had already implanted and there just wasnt enough of the hormones?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, for most women, the time just before the period IS a time when it is unlikely to be fertile. It's just that that may not be so for all women. Really, to find out when YOU ovulate, which can help clear a lot of this up for you, you could chart as instructed in that piece I linked you to.

But let's say that a woman with a very unusual pattern did, in fact, release an egg in the last two days before her period, and had unprotected sex. Even then, her cervical mucus would not likely make sperm mobility likely, but let's say it did, and that egg was able to be fertilized. If she still got her period in those next couple of days, the lining being shed would be what the egg would have needed to implant, so by the time the whole works happens, the fertilized egg wouldn't have any lining to implant in.

Hormones, for the record, aren't what are going to sustain a pregnancy, per se. It's what hormones do when it comes to making your whole fertility cycle happen, including cervical mucus types and the release of the egg, as well as the hormonal change which causes a period, where they're an issue.

All the same, when a woman gets her bonafide period, if she had a risk before that period, she can be pretty darn sure she did not become pregnant from that risk and will not.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Okay i think i get it now [Smile]
Thank you so much
really quick replies btw [Embarrassed] !
xox

Skythe
Neophyte
Member # 39085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skythe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Heather

Thanks soooo much for this!!! I feel really relieved now..I was really freaking out because last june5 me and my bf were fooling around and some pre*** got on his briefs and well can't seem to remember whether he rubbed me or not but 2 days later on june7 I had my regular period and it was on time but then 4 days after ending my period I got dark brown blood that continued for about 4 days getting lighter and lighter till it was gone^__^ i was freaking out because of the thought that i might be pregnant but because of your explanation I am really relieved..

Posts: 8 | From: Philippines | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.