Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Seasonelle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seasonelle
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an advertisement for it on television.

I was doing some research and I saw it mentioned somewhere that it is okay for woman to only have four periods a year. I was watching a program called "Doctor in the House" and the doctor mentioned that we don't even need to have our periods!

I mentioned to mom that I would like to eventually go on it once my current prescription is up. I want to go on it because when I do get my period, it is on the weekend, which pretty much ruins it, and I haven't worn tampons before and I am nervous about trying it. I skipped my period once using my current birth control with no problems except for the fact that mom had a hard time getting my pills from the pharmacy to bring to university for me. They'll only release them at a certain time.

She's a nurse... and because I am technically on my own, I guess I can do what I want when I go to renew my perscription... is there a reason why she thinks that Seasonelle is bad? She didn't give me a reason.

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we have yet to have ANY studies on menstrual suppression for younger women, and that's a pretty big deal, since your hormone levels during the teen years have a lot to do with how healthy you'll be through your life, with issues like breast health and bone loss. That's an issue with BCPs and teens periods, but all the more so when we're talking about using about 1/4 more hormones in a year than with regular pill use.

And even the studies we have for adult women have not been very long-term: only a year or two at a maximum. Plus, some women who have been trying this have wound up not so happy in the long run because "no periods" often means spotting or bleeding at unexpected times (whatever a doctor has to say, our uteruses will still tend to build up some lining on BCPs and will still need to shed it) rather than at times when it's expected and anticipated. That's both obviously inconvenient, and it also can leave some women worried more about pregnancy than usual. And the medical and reproductive health community is not of one mind about this: the opinions vary pretty widely. Some doctors are very gung-ho and carefree about it, others very cautious and wary, and plenty in between. Per Scarleteen, until we can see even one study done on extended BCP use like this with the young women we counsel, it's not something we yet advise for anything more than occasional use.

But ultimately, this is one of those things where you'd want to consider all of the issues yourself and talk to your healthcare provider about this. If you want to do some digging, you'll want to research Seasonale (and you can also look up what studies have been done on it) and "menstrual suppression."

Mind, you can change the schedule of your period using the pill with placebo periods just by changing when you take it: people who first start with a Sunday start will usually get periods during the week rather than on weekends.

[ 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information! I wasn't aware about the studies that were done. I'll have to look up information on it.

Just a few quick questions about changing the schedule of my period...

I start my pills on Sunday and my last pill is on Saturday. I get my period on Thursday.

If I want my period to start on a Monday... would I start my new pack on a Thursday?

I've been on the pill for two years now. I'm currently not sexually active, but will waiting and taking it on a Thursday effect the efficiency? Do I gradually ease into this for the next few monthes or do I just take the leap and see how it goes?

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Nobody answered my last question yet [Smile]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this got lost in the shuffle.

You're not likely going to be able to time your period that specifically, nor have it always come on the same day every month. In other words, women have to accept that there is just only so much control you can have over this: there are limits.

If you want to try that anyway, what decreases efficiency is taking longer than a seven-day placebo period, so basically you'd have to wind up taking even less than the placebo period you already take four times a year with Seasonale, which is not currently medically advised by anyone I know of. Even those who medically support suppression advise no less than four times a year, which means the number of pills involved in having that four times a year, not more than that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.