Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Okay. What next?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay. What next?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so, this is the thing. For the past month or two I seem to be getting these (boils?) on the leg, where my leg meets my vagina. They only come out one at a time, and the last one I had was in early May, before now, but they are extremely painful before 'popped', especially when my underwear or pants rub against it, and semi-painful after. I'm pretty sure they are boils because once I screeze them, puss (or whatever the white gunk that comes out is) comes out, and it goes away a few days later.

I know you guys aren't doctors and cannot diagnost, but is this normal? I started last on May 2 and went normally until like the 6th, but then I spotted for two or three days. So, Im not sure where that puts my period starting, especially seeing as my period isnt every 28 days. I'm not on birth control; so, that is definitely not a factor.

Could this be because of my period?
- If so, is that normal?
And if not, what could be causing them?
- Is there any home remedy treatment?
They really hurt, and I honestly dont feel comfortable going to my mom and telling her, which is my only way to the doctor.

[ 05-23-2008, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Typical Young and Dumb Teenager? ]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, this is something you need to be seeing a doctor about. You've expressed some anxiety before about seeing a doctor. Why is that? I know it can be embarrassing to tell your parents about these kinds of issues, but you can't keep sacrificing your health out of fear of your parents or what they will think. You seem pretty smart, you give good advice on here, so you know that you need to see a doctor about these kinds of things. What's holding you back all the time? A little nagging from your mother is much much better than having something go untreated. And you can always go to a clinic by yourself if you really can't tell your mom, but you do need to start doing that and taking care of yourself.

ETA: I would suggest for the time being that you do not squeeze them as that can only make them worse and possibly cause them to spread to other parts of your body. Not knowing what they are exactly, we can't say what's causing them or what to put on them. You will want to avoid tight clothes, shaving, and heavy lotions.

[ 05-23-2008, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thank you for saying that I'm smart, but it's mainly thanks to all of you. [Smile]

But I really dont have a way of getting to a clinic, not at this time anyway, and I'm about to leave to go visit my dad and there is definitely no way of going to a doctor then. As for not telling my mom, I really just cant. She likes to play doctor sometimes, and just talking to her about anything private is way too awkward. So, I dont know. I guess I should just take my own advice sometimes. I think I'm going to the gyno in August, though. So when I go, I might just ask the gyno him or herself. Maybe it's because of my period, maybe not.

Thanks, though. I appreciate it, Orca.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if this persists you'll really want to be visiting a doctor sooner than August. Especially considering that something like this if being rubbed open by pants or underwear could easily become infected in an area that is high on sweat and holding mousture. And orca's right, you're really smart so sometimes we need to trust ourselves even when we don't like our own advice.

Generally when something like this happens and they're filled with dead white blood cells (pus) it's what's termed a pressure sore - especially considering they're right where your underwear would rub. Pressure sores are caused by the rubbing and constant tight sitting position of underwear in people that walk - many people bound to a wheelchair have this problem from being in one position all the time and that pressure builds up.

Rather than popping then try using a gauze pad and some tape over them to reduce the rubbing from your underwear. This rubbing can cause excess irritation and cause them to be popped rather than you doing it, which can lead to infection. For the time being you should wear looser pants and underwear and really see if there's not some way you can see a doctor. I understand mothers wanted to diagnose you themselves but we don't want to play with health issues that can become worse quickly.

[ 05-23-2008, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so you are saying that the 'pressure sore' is formed because of my underwear rubbing against my body? If so, how am I suppose to preven this from happening? I mean, in all honesty, my pants/panties aren't really all that tight, but dont get me wrong though, they arent loose either. Plus, if this has to do with my pants/panties, would it really be necessary to go to the doctor? You are right about taking advice even when if the person doesnt like it; I guess I'm a big hypocrite sometimes. [Razz]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Beautiful*But*Lonely
Neophyte
Member # 38578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful*But*Lonely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello my name is Stephanie, and if the friction on your clothing is causing this that you could possibly find panties that is just right to where the dont rub too much. And friction is not the only possibility, there is also the possibility that you are having a slight allergic reaction to maybe the fabric in your clothing, or it could even be the detergents you use to wash your clothing. But most likely if you shave your private areas then they look like boyles but really they are ingrown hairs. I use to get those and if so I would highly encourage you to stop shaving until you can see a profesional about this. Even if it is embarrasing or uncomfertable not to shave, it is for your own personal health.

--------------------
*To keep yourself together when *everybody else expects you to *loose all self is *TRUE STRENGTH*

Posts: 8 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Beautiful*But*Lonely - this section of the boards is for Volunteer replies only. See you around the rest of the boards!)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.