Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Vaginal discharge on the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginal discharge on the pill
kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaitlin8765     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Yasmin for almost a year now. Usually, my discharge is thick and white and changes to thick, whitish with a brown tint the day or so before my withdrawal bleed. It then is tinted brown for a few more days after my withdrawal bleed, so for about a week a month it is brown. I also get mucusy looking green blobs the day before my period as well. However, my last withdrawal bleed started two weeks ago today and I'm still getting some brown/green tinted mucus. I also seem to be getting a lot of clear/a little whitish discharge. I am getting my thick discharge as well. I have never really had the clear egg-white discharge since being on the pill. Any idea why I would suddenly be getting it? If I was ovulating would it be lasting this long? It's going on two weeks with a lot of clear discharge when I wipe after I go to the bathroom. I know ovulation doesn't last for two weeks. My cervix is low, hard-ish and feels closed. When feeling it there is a lot of mucus surrounding it (almost like a mucus plug) which I sometimes feel that goes away about this time. That is going away like normal. But the clear discharge is worrying me. Should I be concerned that the pill is not working for some reason? (I am taking it everyday at 9 pm and have not missed any.) The discharge is clear with a whiteness to it and stretches BUT I am still getting the thick, white discharge like normal and brown tinted with a little green tint. The green is not an STD or anything and always happens before my period (ever since I started when I was 9.) It's not even really green, more brownish I suppose. Either way, it's normal for me I suppose. I'm just not use to having so much discharge since I've started the pill. And usually the brown stops but for some reason it's not. It's not a flow by any means, just thick, sticky discharge sometimes on the toilet paper. No need to wear a pantyliner. I also would not call it spotting since it's in globs of discharge and not just spots on the toilet paper.

I have not had sex this month and it has been going on since my last withdrawal bleed so I'm pretty sure it's not like implantation bleeding or anything. It's only been a week since I last saw my boyfriend which was the first time since my last withdrawal bleed.

Anyway, is this normal? Should I try to relax and hope I'm not ovulating? My breasts started hurting today which is normal and happens every month on this exact day and goes away when I start my withdrawal bleed. I also get indigestion before my withdrawal bleed and that has started today as well (same as every month). I am on yasmin which is monophasic, but from what I have heard a lot of women go through pms with a lot of symptoms before they take the placebos. I want to switch pills because of it, but I don't have time right now. (I got cysts in my breasts with ovulation and do not have those anymore, so I assume that pill is usually working.) I'm just worried that it's not this month.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 103 | From: Flint, MI | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaitlin8765     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, none of the discharge is irritating or smelly or anything. It all looks and feels normal, just wondering why I'm getting the clear stuff and the brown tint never shut off after this withdrawal bleed. It's mostly just the clear discharge that has me worried.

What else can affect discharge? I am pretty stressed (school, work, my boyfriend just left to go to a different state for work, slightly worried about pregnancy...you can read my other forum since I don't want to double post.) I'm also quite sad that my boyfriend left...distance sucks. I've also started doing stretches everyday and aside from that am sitting around a lot because my classes are online and I work from home. I'm not used to just sitting around. Could any of that affect the discharge?

Thanks again.

Posts: 103 | From: Flint, MI | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discharge is not a sign of birth control failure, so as long as you're taking the pill as directed and not doing anything to compromise it, you're protected.

For the discharge, check this out:
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Whew...thank you very much. :)I thought that possibly seeing clear discharge or something meant that it was failing. Would it not be obvious if it failed?

I am not sure if the cyst come come back if I ovulated or not but ever since my menarche at 9 I got cysts. (Very rare condition in anyone under 30.) So the pill pretty much saved me from 2 weeks of excruciating pain every month. I would think that the cysts MAY come back if I ovulated, but I'm not so sure. So if the pill did fail for some reason, it wouldn't be too obvious?

kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Oh, I did find that link after I posted the question. I knew the thick white was normal for infertile times and it said it can even be slightly yellowish...so that seems exactly like what I get every month. Thanks for telling me about it though. [Smile]
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take the pill as directed, you have less than 1% chance of failure.

On another note, though, you described having green-ish discharge. I understand you have this often and consider it normal, but green-ish discharge generally tends to be a sign of infection and I'd encourage you to get that checked out.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

No, not so much green. It's the whitish yellow discharge that is the "infertile" discharge on the website. I have had it for years. It is usually my first sign of my period and withdrawal bleed coming and keeps going for a few days after, then stops. It just didn't really stop this time.

I don't think I have any type of infection because I have it ever since I started puberty (10 years ago) and have no other signs or symptoms of an infection. It is more yellow/brownish usually. It's just really hard to describe. I think I just say green because it is usually globby like snot. It's not noticeably green though...just really hard to explain. I did read the list of abnormal discharge and none of it applies to me.

I'm not concerned at all because it's all I've ever known. I am just concerned about the clear mucus because I would really freak out if I was ovulating after taking the pill as directed. How long does fertile mucus last anyway? I remember monitoring it before the pill and it seemed to only last about 4 days. This has been lasting for about 2 weeks ever since my withdrawal bleed. While I was still bleeding it was like this and the blood stopped, but the clearness didn't. No staining on my underwear or anything, just when I wipe I get some globs. It may have always done this, I'm not sure. I just started paying more attention to the mucus. I do know that it has always been white and thick since starting the pill though. When my boyfriend and I do have sex the white is all over the condom. I haven't had sex in about 2 months though so I wouldn't know if it would be doing that.

So could a change in discharge just be my body cleaning itself out or be no big deal? So clear, stringy (not so much stretchy...I remember mine being VERY stretchy before the pill) doesn't always mean ovulation?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just concerned that I am ovulating.

kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

I do keep a journal that I write it everyday to keep track of symptoms on the pill. I have written down every time my boyfriend has left that I got a lot of clear mucus afterward. Sound weird, yes...but I have written that down 4 times. Do emotions have anything to do with it? I always end up crying and being really sad for about a week or two and get stressed about being pregnant (even though I haven't really had a risk.) So if stress and emotions have anything to do with it, I may go with this is normal for me but I just didn't pay attention. This is also spring/summer vacation for me, so I'm usually in school and not paying as much attention to my body and being more active than I am now.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it doesn't sound weird, because that clear discharge is probably simply discharge due to sexual arousal, not ovulation.

If you're taking the pill properly, you don't have mucus that's about being fertile or infertile, because the mucus you have is the mucus the hormones of your pills create, excepting discharges from any infections or from sexual arousal.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Thanks, Heather. The thing is though is that I am not sexually aroused when he leaves, I'm upset. And I am not sexually aroused right now.

I thought about how I can explain this all better.

1. I was getting clear-ish discharge. It was kinda stringy with some white in it. It was never really totally clear and not a TON, just stringy.

2. I usually get really thick, creamy, white discharge that is tinted yellow sometimes and tinted brown before and after my withdrawal bleed. I haven't gotten much of that this month.

3. My withdrawal started 2 Saturdays ago. The last red blood I saw was the Thursday before the last (so about a week ago.) My withdrawal bleed started back up (always does that day) and was mixed with clear fluid and a lot of red blood and a clot. Then stopped, like usual. Ever since then, I have continued to get brown globs instead of it stopping like it usually does.

4. I was very aroused last weekend and my boyfriend fingered me last Saturday. It seems like ever since then it has been a lot wetter. But I have not been aroused at all for about a week.

5. When feeling my cervix it seems like there is a lot of mucus covering it. It moves around, but stays at the top of my cervix. When I pull my finger out, there is a lot of goopy clear/slightly brown mucus. It is clear on my finger, but brownish when I wipe it on toilet paper. If I re-insert my finger, my cervix does not have that goop on it anymore and feels closed. It has remained low and semi-hard. Even just a few minutes later, if I feel my cervix again, the mucus is back. What could this be? Is it just mucus covering my cervix so sperm can't get in?

6. This gooey feeling on my cervix is normal for me, usually. It usually goes away about this time (a week after my withdrawal bleed has ended.) I remember because it makes it seems like my cervix is somewhat open and I always want to wait to have sex with my boyfriend until 2 weeks before my withdrawal bleed because that gooey feeling is gone and my cervix feels dry and closed. Even though I know I shouldn't be ovuating, my cervix doesn't just close up right away when I start taking active pills again. However, it just doesn't seem like the goop is going away like it usually does. It may just take a few more days. I do know that if I have sex about the week after my withdrawal bleed starts, there isn't much white mucus on the condom, but the closer I get to my withdrawal bleed, the more white, thick mucus I get.

7. It is not green like I said earlier. I didn't mean that I think I have an infection. It smells and feels totally fine. Nothing is on my underwear and it is sometimes there when I wipe, but usually when I insert a finger.

8. I'm just not used to it being so gooey feeling and having any clear mucus at all. I usually have a hard time getting wet even for arousal. It was much easier this time because my boyfriend had been gone for 5 weeks. I'm pretty sure because I hadn't seen him in so long, that's why it was easier to get turned on.

Anyway, I'm just a little worried about all of this discharge. Should I just ignore it and stop touching my cervix? Could it just be covering my cervix to not allow sperm in? I do know that it does that a week after my withdrawal bleed, it's just usually gone by now. It doesn't feel as dry up there as it usually does. Nothing is pouring out, getting on my underwear, and I wouldn't call it spotting because it's in globs and usually only comes out if I put my fingers in. I can peel it off the toilet paper if I wanted. I do know I was very aroused last weekend and didn't have an orgasm until Saturday after being aroused on Friday. My vagina actually hurt all day Saturday until I had an orgasm. Could it just be from that?

Also, does stress, emotion, and diet have anything to do with it? I am due for my withdrawal bleed in 2 weeks, but run out of pills in 9 days and always lose my appetite at this time in my cycle so I haven't been eating that much. (Along with other pms symptoms that yes, I know, shouldn't happen on the pill when taking active ones...but it does. I'm sure I could keep taking active pills and still have a withdrawal bleed. I get cramps about a week before it's even due. I'm working on switching pills, but have found out a lot of women complain of this on Yasmin.) I am stressed and have a lot to do and emotional because my boyfriend left and I am worried about this mucus and being pregnant (although you have said I didn't really have a risk and I do believe that.)

I'm just scared that the pill is not working. If I was ovulating, would the mucus even change enough to make me notice? I have taken all my pills at the right time everyday and haven't missed one and didn't start this next pack late. My stomach has been kinda yucky feeling ever since my boyfriend left from the stress so I have been going to the bathroom more. But, it is normal, and not diarrhea at all. I also take my pill at 9pm and don't go to bathroom until at least 14 hours later. Last month I felt kinda weird and crampy all month and then my withdrawal bleed was really heavy and came a few hours later than usual. (usually it's 7:02 am sharp, but last time it was 9:30.) Could it just be that the last withdrawal bleed was a little screwy (was dealing with exams, scheduling, and my boyfriend had just left)? I know stressed messed it up last month, so maybe it is still kinda just the effects from all that stress?

I will stop checking my cervix and pulling out the mucus and will try to see if it just goes away in a few days. I usually don't monitor my cervix once I can feel that it is closed again, but it just seems more open than usual.

Thanks again, and sorry this post was so long. I just wanted to make sure I was explaining right because I think I made it a little confusing before. It's pretty hard to describe your mucus!

kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

Well, after posting this it seems to be getting better. Still brown and somewhat sticky if I stick my finger in, but nothing when I wipe with toilet paper. It's like a tan color more so than brown. Not dark by any means and actually pretty light. (It's very hard to explain, but I always get it the day before my withdrawal bleed and after.) My cervix still feels mushy at the top and gooey. I know that the cervix can feel soft and mushy and really wet when you're fertile, so that's why I'm worried. It still seems slightly open. It's like it never closed after my last withdrawal bleed and the brown stuff never went away. (Not largely open, just about how it gets before with withdrawal bleed.) I'm starting to think this was all just from the semi-wacky withdrawal bleed I had last month. It's almost like it never really wanted to stop even though I've taken quite a few active pills.

But is there any reason to be concerned about this? I know withdrawal bleeds can be wacky. Usually by this Saturday my cervix is dry and hard and it's wet and still mushy just like before my withdrawal bleed and for many days afterward. (It's only about 3-4 days longer than usual that this is happening.) So, I do have this feeling every month, just not at this time. But I was also getting clear mucus and I never have that. I haven't seen clear all day today really.

I'm just hoping it doesn't mean that since there's a lot of goop around my cervix that I won't have a withdrawal bleed this month? I will freak out if I don't have a bleed because of the brown stuff throughout the month and it's blocking my cervix. It strictly feels like a "mucus plug" on my cervix. I feel it every month though, just not this late into the month. Do you think this will have anything to do with whether or not I have a withdrawal bleed in 2 weeks? I would be really worried and scared if I didn't.

So, I'm sorry to keep posting but I can't find any other information on it. Should I just stop worrying and realize I probably didn't/am not ovulating? It has been 2 weeks since I started my withdrawal bleed and about a week since it ended, so could it just be left over stuff or simply discharge blocking the cervix so sperm can't get in? I'm just also concerned because I usually have a lot of thick, white mucus and I really don't have any this month. (Everything smells the same though.)

So, I have had some clear discharge when I usually don't (unless I'm aroused, which I haven't been for a week), I am still having some brown goop (not spotting) that is surrounding my cervix and makes it feel gooey if I touch it (which usually goes away a few days before now), my cervix seems slightly open (but it's hard to tell with all the mucus around it), my cervix is low and easily reachable and not soft (except for the very tip) nothing is really coming out of my vagina and nothing is on my underwear and hardly anything when I wipe. I do not think this has anything do to with pregnancy, correct? And it doesn't mean I'm ovulating, right? And do you think I will probably still have a withdrawal bleed when beginning the placebos this month? (I am currently getting my usual PMS, but I never know what will happen.)

Sorry again, but thanks for your help.

kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

I know I've been kinda talking to myself here lol, but I would really appreciate another response. I don't want to start a new forum, since that's against the rules.

1. The discharge seems to be getting a little better. I started getting my sticky, white mucus again. Still not as much as usual though.

2. There is still nothing when I wipe or on my underwear.

3. The tan colored discharge seemed to go away, but out of curiosity, I wanted to see if my cervix was back to normal. It's still low, hard, but kind of open. There was more of the tan mucus on my cervix. When I pulled my finger out, it was stuck to my finger in a glob. (Small glob.) Then when I felt my cervix again, it seemed mostly closed back up.

4. Like I've said this IS normal for me before my withdrawal bleed and for about 5 days after. My cervix always takes about a week to close back up after my withdrawal bleed and always feels like there is a "mucus plug" covering it when it is not closed up yet. It has been about 9 days since the last time I saw red blood. It was expected that my cervix would feel gooey and open until about last Thursday (so it's still feeling this way about 3 days after it usually closes back up.) I know this because I never want to have sex with my boyfriend because my cervix isn't closed yet. It is usually closed by now because if we were to have sex, we would have done it this weekend if he was here.

5. My boyfriend did finger me and gave me 2 orgasms a week ago. Ever since then, it seems like I have been wetter and have had clear discharge. The clear has stopped now though.

6. Is there anyway this is just left over from my last withdrawal bleed? I know it usually doesn't last this long and doesn't really look like old blood because it is tan and gooey. It is clear and white on my finger, but tan when I put it on toilet paper. It does not come out of my vagina unless I pull it off my cervix.

7. Should I be worried about this? It doesn't mean the pill isn't working, correct? And it doesn't mean I ovulated, right? I am really just starting to think it's "left over" from my last withdrawal bleed since I have seen this for like 10 months now, just not at this time in the month.

8. I was stressed cramming for exams the week before my withdrawal bleed, the weekend of it, then had exams the week after, had to deal with a lot of problems with scheduling classes, then my boyfriend came to visit a few days after exams ended then he had to leave again which always makes me upset and stresses me out and this is the weekend after he left. So, I was really stressed last month and most of this month as well. Could it just be from the stress? Oh, I also started yoga a week ago. My last withdrawal bleed was a lot heavier than usual and I had to wear a pad 2 days longer than usual, but I didn't have much cramps like I usually do. So, the last withdrawal bleed was a pretty different.

9. It's really hard to stop touching my cervix because I want the mucus to go away and want it to close up again and feel normal. I am really worried that I ovulated. (I did not have sex, but am still worried.)

10. To sum it up, it feels like there is mucus covering my cervix. If I touch the mucus or pull it out, it is clear/whitish but on the toilet paper is tan colored. This feeling and mucus IS normal for me before my period starts and for about a week after it had ended. I am only concerned because my cervix is usually back to feeling dry and closed with no tan mucus by this time (it's been a few days longer than usual.) I had a heavier withdrawal bleed, have been told on here I didn't really have a pregnancy risk, and have 9 active pills left. Do you think this is in response for my next withdrawal bleed or left over from my last? I will try to stop monitoring my cervix but it is worrying me because it has felt open since I started my withdrawal bleed two weeks ago. I take my pill as directed and have never even been late for one. I get cysts in my breasts with ovulation (one reason for the pill) and do not have those anymore.

I'm sorry to keep posting, I am just worried this means I ovulated or am pregnant or something. I am starting to feel better about it since this has been going on since before my withdrawal bleed like normal and isn't just something that "showed up" out of the blue. It just usually is stopped by now. I am concerned because my cervix is more open than usual and is usually tightly closed. The feeling I have now is usually just before my period and after, but not this long.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give. I am pretty sure it's not an infection or anything because I feel fine and have seen this for many years before even getting on the pill. I'm only concerned because it is usually stopped by now. Thanks again.

kaitlin8765
Activist
Member # 36706

I just wanted to say that the brown discharge did stop a week after my withdrawal bleed ended and I am currently on my next withdrawal bleed (day 2) and it is completely like all the other months. So, I guess the brown stuff was no big deal since it stopped and didn't delay my next withdrawal bleed. Thanks for your help! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.