Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control question
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I was prescribed antibiotics (amoxicil) for an ear infection. Since I've read on the box of my birth control (Alesse 28) that antibiotics can affect the pill, I asked the doctor if it'll make a huge difference. He didn't really give me a clear answer...

I'm not too worried, as my boyfriend and I also use condoms, but I was wondering by how much do antibiotics alter the effectiveness of the pill? Also, do they affect it directly, or is it because antibiotics can cause vomiting or diarrhea?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although there are varying degrees to which antibiotics may affect hormonal birth control, there are certain drugs which doctors say can cause decreased effectiveness. Among the most commonly listed are Rifampin, Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Ampicillin etc.

The drug scientifically proven to have a significant impact on birth control is Rifampin which chances are you wouldn't be taking it unless you had tuberculosis or had tested positive for the disease. The others can lower the effectiveness small amounts, but testing is still being done on their effects on birth control.

The reasoning is that antibiotics are thought to interfere with the metabolization of birth control pills. Just as women react differently to being on different birth controls, the same can be said of how antibiotics will effect birth control with any one person. Its really best to err on the side of caution (as I see you do) and use a good backup method.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, thank you! I'll be sure to use condoms.

As well, the pharmacist told me to eat lots of yoghurt so I don't develop a yeast infection. Do all kinds of yoghurt contain the right ingredients to help prevent a yeast infection, or is there a specific type I should pick up?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.