Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A Couple of Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Couple of Questions
Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fredhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thirteen, female, don't define my orientation really, and I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

1) So for the past three years or so, yeah I'd say about since I was 10, I've been having vaginal discharge, a lot of it (I have to change pantiliners about three or four times a day). It's very yellow and gross, and it piles up and turns brown fast. Really thick. I also get cramps about every month, around the same time that I get really moody. What's my concern? I haven't had my period. I have all this discharge, and these cramps and everything, and I haven't had my period yet. I'm afraid that I have, and I just don't know it.
-- 1a) Is vaginal discharge / menstruation in any way related to sexual feelings / energy / whatever?

2) I have a lot of sexual fantasies, and I enjoy them a lot, yet afterward I feel like a perv. They don't usually involve me, rather totally fictional people (to be more specific, recurring fictional people). The thing is, they're not random things that just invade my mind that I can't control, they're far more deliberate than that. I'm wondering, at my age, is this normal? I literally will spend an hour or more just imagining sexual scenes in detail.
-- 2a) Is it normal to, while having sexual fantasies, experience muscle spasms / wetness in the genital area?

Those are a couple things I've been thinking about for a long while (two and a half years and a few months, respectively). I hope someone can answer, thank you.

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're discharge doesn't seem normal, go see a doctor or GYN to make sure things are healthy and okay. It may just be normal, happy discharge, but if it's not, a doctor will be able to tell you!
Check out:
Discharge
As for fantasies, muscle spasms, extra discharge or feelings of wetness, Yep! All normal! Unless it's interfering with things like school or sleep, enjoy it!

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fredhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the guide to discharge, but I'm unclear on what "menses" is. I think it's a little chunky but I also don't know exactly what they mean by that. What I'm most confused about is why it's been going on for so long (when I first started getting discharge, my doctor parents and three older sisters all said I'd have my period soon... then the cramps and moodiness started this year).

I will ask my parents about going to a doctor besides them (as parents, they're not too helpful) maybe... Also, at what point should a girl get a GYN?

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Menses is your period. It's usually red of some colour (a bit brown, a bit bright red, a bit maroon, all normal), and generally comes once a month for a few days to a week.
It's normal to start having PMS symptoms before starting your period, as your hormones start to fluctuate.
Having parents as doctors must be tough. You may be more comfortable being examined by someone else.
As soon as you start menstruating OR become sexually active, you should start annual GYN exams. Whichever is sooner. Or, if you think you might have an issue.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

Okay, I'm glad it's all normal. I was getting kinda confused. It's not particularly bothersome, just annoying.

Where can I go to get examined?

pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Do you have a family doctor? They can refer you to a GYN. I'm in Canada, so things are different, but here, my family doctor does all my exams/testing right in her office, and only refers to a GYN for specific issues.
You could also go to a clinic like Planned Parenthood. Here's the link:
Just put your Zip code at the top

--------------------
Courtenay

Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

Huh, I asked my mom also when you need an OB/GYN, she said if there's a problem. But then, being my mom, it makes sense she wouldn't say when you become sexually active.

Anyway, thank you very much.

Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

So, I talked to my mom; this discharge has been happening literally all the time; it never ceases -- at any given moment it is leaking. I talked to my mom and she said we'll schedule a doctor's appointment, since it seems like it's more than just the natural lubrication.

Oh joy, I get to have my vagina looked at by the family doctor.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It helps to remember that this is a normal part of life. Really, it's not bad at all. If you're nervous you can certainly ask for a nurse to be present. Our article about Your First Gynecologist Visitmay give you a better indication of what to expect.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

Well, I'm not going to a gynecologist... my mom's taking me to the family pediatrician. I guess if I need to, she'll refer me. Do you know if things are going to be the same if it's not actually a gynecologist? What do you think she will do and such?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of family doctors are trained in and provide reproductive healthcare. So, if your family doc is going to give you a pelvic exam, it'd be as described in that link.

But it is entirely possible that you really are just looking at normal discharges, which are about more than lubrication: as one of the links above outlined, it's about the whole of your fertility cycle, pretty constantly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fredhead
Neophyte
Member # 37768

I went to the doctor today. It was a lot less weird than I expected. She put a sheet over my legs and told me to take off my underwear (at which point I silently told my mom to leave the room... at which point she asked if I needed help, at which point I got extremely frustrated... but that's beside the point). Then she had me lie down and she put on gloves and and used a little thingy to take a culture, and then I went and got a urine sample.

I got a prescription for Septra, in case I have a urinary tract infection.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.