Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Boyfriend won't be tested for STIs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boyfriend won't be tested for STIs
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend have been having sex using condoms and birth control pills for a little while now but one day we'd like to be able to stop using condoms, just for the experience.

I know that you need to be checked for STIs before you can do this safely and I'm happy to go along with him and have it done (even though I was a virgin before him) but he took it as a bit of an insult when i mentioned it.

He's had sex with one girl before and they were both virgins and used condoms so he thinks there's no way he could have an sti. But i know that she cheated on him while they were still together a number of times (I don't feel it's my place to drag up the past and tell him) and I doubt that they ever used condoms for oral sex. So while I trust him completely, I do not trust her.

So firstly what are the chances of getting an STI from oral sex? and do you have any suggestions as to how I can convince him to go without telling him what i know about his ex.

Thankyou!!

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it shouldn't be like planning the Invasion of Nuremberg to get a partner to get tested. It also shouldn't be an insult to have a partner ask you to do what all sexually active people should be doing at least once a year anyway, even if they USE condoms (remember, condoms reduce risks of STIs -- they don't eradicate those risks completely).

So, I'd just be pretty plain about this: that you'd be interested in going without condoms, but it's important to you for both of you to be as safe as possible, and part of that is getting started with regular testing (the other parts, FYI, are sexual monogamy for at least six months before going without barriers). If he acts insulted again, you can just make clear that there are few guarantees when it comes to infections, and that testing is just part of what people being responsible and mature about sex do.

In terms of STI risks from oral sex, here's a list of STIs which can be transmitted that way: STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.