Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period whilst on the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period whilst on the pill
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I use both the pill and condoms every time we have sex because pregnancy is absolutely not an option for either of us.

Even though we are so careful about this I have noticed some changes such as nausea, heartburn and breast growth in the last month which I know are early signs of pregnancy.

I've just had my period and it was reasonably heavy but I've read stories of women continuing to have periods throughout their pregnancy. I am also aware that periods on the pill are withdrawal bleeds and not natural.

So I was wondering if it is possible for me to be pregnant but still have periods? Or are these symptoms more likely to be side effects caused by the pill I am on?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I realise this may sound paranoid and I am simply curious rather than seriously worried. I know the chances of both the pill and condom failing are very low!

[ 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: libertinedreamer ]

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long have you been taking the pill for, libertinedreamer?

(And just to make clear, noticeable breastgrowth is not something we see in early pregnancy: breast tenderness, for sure, but growth is something that tends to occur a bit later in the game. Too, women cannot have periods during pregnancy: they may experience unexplained bleeding or spotting, but unless there is a problem with the pregnancy, that bleeding will tend to be light, and not on a regular schedule as periods are.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 months, do you think it's just my body getting used to it?
Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's likely what's going on. You're still a very new pill user.

If it helps you to understand, some of why we see similar effects of the pill that we see with pregnancy it's because of similar increases in hormone levels.

Mind, these side effects for you may be temporary, or they may be ongoing with the pill. Slight nausea and heartburn, for example, aren't uncommon as ongoing side effects for many women using OCPs.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Thank you! I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to make sure just in case.

:-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.