Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can you get infections from semen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you get infections from semen?
anne1000
Neophyte
Member # 36750

Icon 11 posted      Profile for anne1000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently went on the pill so me and my boyfriend have bee having sex a lot but my friend told me that if he ejaculates inside you infection can occur. Is this true? It's got me a bit worried and if it is true how do i prevent it? [Confused]
Posts: 4 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sexually transmitted infections are nearly always a risk, but there are ways of dramatically reducing those risks.

With a new partner, the routine is this. For the first six months you're together:
for oral, vaginal, and/or anal sex, use latex barriers (condoms, dental dams, etc.)
be monogamous, both of you, for those six months
both start with a new STI test series at the start of the six months, then get another at the end.

After that, if both your sets of tests came back with negative results for infections, and you're staying monogamous, the risks are far, far smaller -- reduced by around 70-80% for STIs like Herpes and HPV, and higher than that for all other STIs.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anne1000
Neophyte
Member # 36750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anne1000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean sexually transmitted infections, i know we are both clear on that. What i mean is can infections form from the semen being inside of me.... in a hygeine point of veiw. Sorry i just realised how unclear i was in the last blog lol.
Posts: 4 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both of you have done the whole six-month safer sex practice and keep up with your full STI screenings, then there are not likely going to be infections you don't know about. Semen in and of itself isn't infected, nor does it have elements -- without the presence of other viruses or bacteria from an existing infection -- to create an infection.

Certainly, semen being in the vagina usually temporarily changes the pH balance of the vagina, but that's an imbalance, not an infection, and the vagina rectifies that by itself when it's in good working order.

[ 02-22-2008, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.