Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could I Be Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I Be Pregnant?
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Icon 4 posted      Profile for cpreston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I Recently Had Sex About A Week After I Finished My Last Period And Have Since Been Getting Headaches, A Little Bit Of Backache, Discharge, Feeling Tired, Period Like Pains But My Period Is Not Due 4 Another 2 Weeks, And I Also Have Small White Spots/Bumps Around My Nipple On The Areola. Is It Likely That I Could Be Pregnant And If So When Would I Be Able To Take A Test???
Posts: 10 | From: Dorset | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you use condoms or some other form of birth control (diapragm, birth control pill, patch, ring, shot), or did you have unprotected sex? We really can't help assess your pregnancy risks without knowing that first.

That being said, you can take a test 10-14 days after your risk, or as soon as you miss your period, whichever is sooner.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cpreston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had unprotected sex. so is it likely that i would be pregnant? and are those signs that i could be pregnant?so i think it was the 28th of january that i had sex is it 2 early 2 take a test ??
Posts: 10 | From: Dorset | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was the 28th of January, then it's still too early to take a test and have it be accurate.

The signs and symptoms you're describing could be signs and symptoms of a lot of things other than pregnancy; many women don't even know they're pregnant during the first few months of pregnancy.

All you can do right now is wait until enough time has passed to take a test. Unprotected sex also puts you at risk for STIs; can we help you find resources for testing?

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cpreston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when would i be able 2 take a test then?? what about the white spots/ bumbps on the areola? :S no i dont need any help with things to do with STI's thanks as i have been with my current partner for over 3 years and have never caught anything from him yet thanks anyway.
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

so when could i take a test?
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pregnancy test is accurate either at least 10-14 days after your risk or on the first day of a missed period.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

what is 10-14 days after your risk? :S
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry we missed your last questions there, cpreston.

You can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after unprotected sex or the first day of a missed period, whichever comes first.

The bumps on your areola are likely nothing to worry about- we have glands on our areolas and that's likely what you're seeing.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

ok so if i had unprotected sex on 28th january am i able 2 take a test yet then? and is it likely to be an accurate result.. i have never seen these bumps before and heard that you can get these when you are pregnant..
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. You can take a pregnancy test now and it should be accurate.

[ 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it has been more than 10 days since January 28th, so it's fairly easy to figure out that yes, you can take a test now, and it will be accurate as long as you take it as directed.

If you did become pregnant, conception can take 7 days to occur, so you'd literally be in your first week of pregnancy- there's no way you'd have symptoms yet. Those glands are likely standing out for some other reason- irritation perhaps, hormone fluctuations, even changes from puberty. It's hard to say, but it's not due to pregnancy at this point in time.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

It's also possible that you've always had those but just started to notice your breasts more now that you've had a pregnancy risk and thought that pregnancy could cause bumps like that, even if that's not the case.

[ 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

it is possible to have symptoms that early some women have them a few days after having sex. every woman is different
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

No, not really- some people are simply hyper-aware of their bodies when they're worried or expecting pregnancy to occur, and most of those sorts of stories are anecdotal and not supported by evidence. The levels of hormones in your body are not high enough at one week to cause any symptoms or side effects.

--------------------
Lea

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be clear as well, conception and pregnancy don't happen instantly. It takes several days to a week for a pregnancy to even complete. So having symptoms a couple of days after sex would mean that the symptoms were probably showing up BEFORE one was even actually pregnant at all.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Well I Was Getting Headaches, Discharge, Feeling Tired,& Period Like Pains A Few Days After I Had Unprotected Sex And Have Had Them For 2 Weeks Now And In The Last Few Days Have Started Getting The Small Spot/Bumps On My Areola And Have Also Been Feeling Sick Like Morning Sickness And The Smell Of Cigarette Smoke Has Also Been Making Me Feel Sick In The Last Few Days..
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could just be that you are worrying yourself into noticing all these things that are usually there. And cigarrette smoke makes many peopel feel sick, myself included, and I certainly am not pregnant.

Since it has been long enough, have you taken a pregnancy test yet?

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Yer But Cigarette Smoke Does Not Usually Make Me Feel Sick As I Myself Do Smoke.. No I Have Not Taken A Test Yet As I Thought You Had 2 Wait Until Your Period Was Due Or 4 Days Before And My Period Doesnt Usually Start Until About The 24th/25th Sometimes A Bit Before And Sometimes A Bit After..
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pregnancy tests are accurate 14 days after the risk, or the first day your period is missed, whichever comes first. While it hasn't been quite 14 days since, you could still take one, as it can be accurate even 10 days after the risk. If you do take one now, it wouldn;t be a bad idea to take another one in a few days, just to verify the results.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpreston
Neophyte
Member # 36918

Ok Thankyou For Your Help

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.