Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » loooong cycles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: loooong cycles
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
I have a question about my cycle.
It used to last about 31 days but my last cycle lasted for 39 days, today is the 34th day and still no period.

Thats two late periods in a row, I had my pap done last december and the doctor said everything was all right, I havent had any pregnancy risk, I guess, my partner fingered my last weekend and we also engaged in dry sex.

Do you have any idea why is this happening?

Posts: 92 | From: far away from you | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you tend to have long cycles in general anyway, so unless you're having things going on like far heavier cramping, bleeding mid-cycle, or any other symptoms, I would not be highly concerned. If you also already talked to your doctor about this and they didn't have any concerns, that's mor reason not to worry.

Anything else going on, or just the length of the cycles?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing else, just the lenght, I havent talked to my doctor yet, at the time my pap was done I was pretty regular, between 29 and 31 days.

No heavier cramping or mid-cycle bleeding.

Posts: 92 | From: far away from you | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'd not worry about it right now. Sometimes, we just have shifts, due to changes in our general health, overall lifestyle, hormonal shifts.

A couple years ago, to give you an example, I -- an exceptionally average 28-day-cycler for most of my life, years and years and years -- started getting periods closer and closer together for around six months: 26 days, then 24, then even 20. I talked to a couple healthcare folks and gyns, one had no idea, the other thought I was peri-menopausal. My acupuncturist just thought it was something up with my general health, treated me for that instead (stagnant chi, which means nada if you don't do chinese medicine). After a month or two, I went back to normal, and have been since. It just happens now and then.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

I bet you are right, last month I got VERY upset/worried around my ovulation date, and this month I just started a new excercise routine, Ive been running, before that I just did pilates (no cardio at all)
I guess I will wait for my period to go back to its usual track.

Thank you so much!

nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

I found this info:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome/DS00423/DSECTION=1

What do you think?

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If long cycles is your ONLY symptom, i don't think polycystic ovary syndrome is something you need to worry about right now.

I would see what happens this cycle and next, and if you're still having longer than average cycles, i would call your doc and see what s/he thinks.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

still nothing, im nervous!
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

I had a pap smear done about two months ago (at the begining of december), the doctor also performed a vaginal ultrasound... he said everything was okay, right after that, my next period was 8 days late and now Im 9 days late and still no period...

Ive been doing a lot of research... there are so many horrible things that can cause missed or late periods.

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hon, really, don't do research. [Smile] Yeah, a lot of things can cause late periods that are pretty bad, but those usually all have other symptoms involved too, and you say the only change you have going on is the period. So really, don't worry yourself about this yet.

One late or missed period, if you haven't had a pregnancy risk, is really, truly nothing to worry about. There are all sorts of normal things that can cause this to happen- stress, dietary changes, illnesses, even just hormonal shifts.

Why don't you check out this article? M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Okay, I wont do research anymore [Smile]

Ive read the M.I.A. article a bunch of times, what worries me is the fact that this is the second late period (and that in case that my period appears) in a row.

Also, Im 27 so, I stopped being a teenager a while ago!!
The abortion I had 3 years ago doesnt has anything to do with this, right?

[ 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: nina006 ]

nina006
Activist
Member # 26273

Any comments?? [Big Grin]
Heather
Member # 3

Your menstrual cycle is controlled by your hormonal system: an abortion procedure don't have anything to do with that system.

Ultimately, an alteration in a cycle for a couple cycles is not anything to worry about. It's simply advised that if you have something wonky for three cycles or more that you consult your gynecologist. And given your age, and the difference in the resources of someone your age as compared to the rest of our users, that shouldn't be a huge issue. So, that's what I'd suggest: give it one more cycle, and if things are still weird -- understanding that cyclical changes can happen through your life, not just during puberty -- then call your healthcare provider.

Just a reminder, too? This resource is intended primarily for minors and college-age users. because of that, and because of cultural attitudes and policies about young adult sexuality, our resources are incredibly limited. That is why we ask full-fledged adults to both understand that minors come first here, and also request that older adults try and utilize other resources before ours, particularly since adult sites and resources are better able to support themselves. Thanks!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.