Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » antibotics and birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antibotics and birth control
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilcutie06xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, im on mircrogestin (birth control) for quite awhile and recently i was perscribed to 4 antibotics a day (amoxacillian) do i have a chance of getting pregnate ,cause i heard birth control and anitbotics dont mix...thanks!
Posts: 34 | From: new hampshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor or pharmacist is the best person to call. Use a backup method of birth control until they tell you whether it is safe or not.

There are only a couple antibiotics shown to interact directly with birth control pills, and they're not among the most commonly prescribed. However, there have been documented failures among women taking penicillin-derived medications, possibly due to mal-absorption from the antibiotics' effect on the natural intestinal flora, or side effects like diarrhea.

So, caution is best. Use condoms, and take a pregnancy test if you don't get a withdrawal bleed this month.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amoxicillin can interfere with hormonal birth control pills, yes, although to a much lesser extent than some other, less commonly prescribed antibiotics.

Have you been sexually active since you started the rounds of antibiotics? If not, nothing to worry about. If you have, and have had intercourse or other direct genital contact that would warrant a pregnancy risk, you may want to seek emergency contraception if you still have time.

If you're planning on having intercourse while still on the antibiotics, you should use a condom for protection.

To avoid this in the future, always always always ask your doctor if medicine you're being given will interfere with BC. Most medications won't, only some types of antibiotics, but it's always good to ask.

(mindmeld!)

[ 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilcutie06xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
umm so i do have a chance of gettin pregnate cuz me and my boyfriend has sex bout 2 days ago
Posts: 34 | From: new hampshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it unprotected? (ie, no condom/diaphragm/other form of backup?)

If so, and if you were on your antibiotics then, you may have a pregnancy risk. If you're not able to accept any pregnancy risk, you can obtain EC still (it's effective up to 5 days after unprotected sex).

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

yes it was unprotected sex and my planned parenthood and closed tomorrow and sunday so i have no way of getting EC.......

also i dont think ill get pregnate cuz im still taking my birthcontrol everyday at the same time

lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

yes it was unprotected sex and my planned parenthood and closed tomorrow and sunday so i have no way of getting EC.......

also i dont think ill get pregnate cuz im still taking my birthcontrol everyday at the same time

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antibiotics can still affect your birth control, despite how regularly you're taking it.

I believe you can get EC over the counter in NH, right? You can call your pharmacist and ask.

If that fails, you'll need to get into a clinic to get it.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

im not sure ive never had to get that before, but if i stop the antibotics now and still contiune to take my birth control should i be fine? or if i stop the antibotics and still take my birth control and i do end up getting pregant could it affect the baby? i wont know intill another 2 weeks when im due and i did have sex yesterday morning and i looked up my ovualtion chart and the best time for me to get pregant is today the 11th.......
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

[ 01-11-2008, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: lilcutie06xx ]

lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

im not sure ive never had to get that before, but if i stop the antibotics now and still contiune to take my birth control should i be fine? or if i stop the antibotics and still take my birth control and i do end up getting pregant could it affect the baby? i wont know intill another 2 weeks when im due and i did have sex yesterday morning and i looked up my ovualtion chart and the best time for me to get pregant is today the 11th.......
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, yes, EC is available over the counter here in NH. You have to be 18 to get it without a prescription, and might have to show a photo ID. Depending where you go, it'll run you at least $40. It's usually best to call ahead first, to make sure they have it in stock.

Second, You do not ovulate while on hormonal birth control, so using an ovulation calender is pretty much pointless. The whole point of the pill is to stop ovulation, so you won't have 'fertile' or 'non fertile' days. All days, you have the same risk, as long as you take your pills correctly.

Continue taking both your birth control and the anitbiotics. You were prescribed the antibiotics for a reason, and should take them as directed. Continue taking the BC because you don't want to REALLY screw up your cycle by stopping and then starting again. If you do happen to be pregnant, taking the BC until you have a positive test shouldn't affect the fetus.

When you had sex on the 10th, were you using a condom? I know that was recommended to you after you said you had sex on the 9th, so...? If not, then you should start using them now.

If you want to use EC, you need to get it ASAP. You can also take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after your last risk.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.