Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Chronic Yeast Infections?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic Yeast Infections?
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, is it possible to have chronic, yet mild yeast infections once a month?

I'm on birth control and the week before and of my period, I get mild itching and irritation, plus the somewhat fishy smell going on. This happens EVERY month. I've taken to keeping a tube of miconzole nitrate in the bathroom drawer for that new "special time of the month."

I also work as a lifeguard and I sit in my bathing suit for several hours at a time, but not usually wet because I never need to get in the pool.

It doesn't really bother me any other time of the month except for around the time for my period, and it stops around a half of a week after my period ends.

Does it have something to do w/my hormonal changes? What's going on here? And more importantly, is there anything I can do, because I can't be asking the doctor for flucanzole every month and I don't like to use the over-the-counter treatments, but they worked last month.

Thanks,

k_leigh7692

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should hope you haven't been self-treating this whole time without having the diagnosis confirmed by a physician; a fishy smell paired with irritation is characterized by a bacterial infection, not fungal like yeast.

If a home treatment doesn't work or you get the same symptoms in a short timeframe, you really need to get into the doctor to get a culture done, because it's likely not yeast or a resistant strain (which is growing in occurrence due overuse of OTC creams among women). Was your initial infection confirmed in this way?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my first yeast infection was about 3 yrs ago and was much worse than any of the ones I've had since then, so I just thought it was mild irritation or something.

The fishy smell has gone away, thankfully. I think that was due to the medicine. The "once-a-month" mild itching and irritation just started occurring maybe this summer? But no, I haven't asked my doctor about it. I'm also on birth control, and I thought that would have something to do with it.

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.