Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Does dried sperm survive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does dried sperm survive
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question -

Does dried sperm survive in an oily environment?

----- I have very oily skin. my scalp and face secrete a lot of oil and sometimes even my body. many times i touch my face with the oil there and touch my waist or stomach or just my body in general, so the oil transfers from here to there. But to make very clear its not a huge amount of oil. Its just oilyness, moistness, small amounts felt on your fingers.

I heard that once semen dries up the sperm cells are dead. But what I worry about is if some amount of wet semen comes in contact with my shoulders, waist, stomach etc and it starts to dry and has completely dried, could the already existing oils in my oily skin keep the sperm cells alive? make note the semen has completely dried!! you can feel it to be dry, but sperm cells are small and i worry that sperm can be trapped by the oils of the skin and remain alive. Because the semen is after all drying on oily skin! Can the oil stop sperm from drying even though the semen has dried up? My skin is just slightly oily, a tad more than the natural amount the body secretes which isn't much and over that i touch myself around a lot with the same hands which have touched my oily face skin and nose (T Zone) which has more oils. But if oils can keep the sperms alive then i worry that when i take a shower those sperm cells will move downwards to the vagina and cause a pregnancy risk? that is why i don't know whether sperms cells can survive in oily environments. do tiny traces of oilyness eventually dry up too? i know the body secretes oils naturally, though mine secretes a little more, a bit more, so i am a bit worried and still wondering about it. i don't know the nature of oil. Though i want to make clear its more oilyness here than oil. its not a lot of oil, but just moistness, oilyness. anything to worry?

----- This in mind i was worried about oil on cloth too. Talking of how much oil i mean in this case, when you massage your hands with lotion or oils it starts to soak into the skin, that little bit of moisture and slight oily ness left over on the skin which has not soaked up and can still be felt on your fingers, that slight moistness, is what i am talking about. Very minute amount of oil. Rubbing your fingers together you can feel the slight oilyness, its not completely dry. But its not massive in amount where in its so much in quantity that it is liquidy and can cause an oil stain. It is just a feeling of moistness of oil - barely any oil - just slight moistness. If this amount of oilyness is already there on a couch or seat and then later on some semen falls on it and later dries up completely, would the oil be able to trap sperm cells and keep them alive? the semen is completely dry and you can't feel it anymore, but like the above problem i wondered whether oil globules could keep sperm cells alive even after the semen has dried out, and taking that into account i was worried whether if i sat on that couch or seat area could the sperm cells in the oil globules get through my clothes?

I don't know how this would happen because there is no liquid anywhere, not from semen not from oil, the oil like i said is just slight oilyness felt, hence there are no oil stains either on the cloths or on the couch as its just oilyness and that doesn't create stains. If i touch the cloth or couch and it doesn't feel oily, does that mean the oil is not present or has dried up? Thing is, i don't know whether those really small amounts of oil dry out or not. That's why i am worried and wondering whether dried sperm can surrvive on oily surfaces be it skin or cloth.

sorry for this long post, but really hoping someone can help me. i am unsure and worried. Thank you for your time.

Posts: 11 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're way overthinking this.

Sperm, to be honest, are not going to survive unless their environment meets their very specific needs. Semen contains nutrients and lubricants to keep the sperm healthy, but once those are gone and dried up, sperm aren't going to survive.

No amount of oil on your skin will be able to keep sperm cells alive. It just isn't the right environment for them. And to be frank, there's no way in heaven on earth that sperm cells could survive on your chest or face and then get rinsed off and make it to your vagina to impregnate you. Nor could they get through your clothes if you sit on a couch. Just not possible.

So, rest easy on this one.

[ 08-24-2007, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you sure?? this really worried me, really. i was thinking about it mainly because i have oily skin, the oily skin made me think of it ! i had heard that dried semen means the sperms are dead, but i thought that referred to semen which is drying on already dry surfaces, be it skin or cloth, not oily surfaces, that's why i was thinking about oily surfaces, and since my skin is constantly oily i feared if semen dried " ON " the oily skin opposed to dry skin, then even though the semen fluid has dried up, the sperms in the semen fluid might get caught or mixed in the oil and keep it alive, and i was really worried about it, really.

with the assumption of sperm alive due to oil on the body i felt after showering the sperm would move downwards to the vagina, especially if the semen had dried on the waist etc. this was only assuming the sperm cells were alive, otherwise i know that dried semen even if washed away downwards in a shower has no risk. ------

so to recap, sperm without it's seminal fluid won't survive. Sperm cells alone, individually (without the seminal fluid) cannot get trapped or mixed with minute oil globules and last longer or any such thing and this is mainly because there is no seminal fluid. correct? In both examples there is absolutely no wet semen in sight, be it on the physical body or on cloth or couch. that made me wonder also whether what i mentioned was even possible, since there is no wet semen, totally dry and you can feel and see it. BUT you can feel the oilyness, that i feel constantly! its just shitty & irritating, its always present, hence the worry of trapped sperms in the oil, since the oil is not going anywhere and when you shower the oils will run downwards with the water.

Posts: 11 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jamsession's reply still stands. You have NOTHING to worry about from the scenarios you're describing. Once semen dries, the sperm is dead. It will not be kept alive/revived by oily skin or water.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

thank you for all the answers and help. i'd like to clear up that i wasn't worried about reviving the sperm, i know once sperm is dead, it remains so. my question or assumption was suggesting that, during the time Wet Semen mixes with the oils of the skin, the sperm cells in the wet semen also get trapped in the oils. Afterwards when the semen does dry, the oils will still have those sperm cells trapped and kept alive. This was the assumption. I wasn't suggesting if oils could revive already dried semen/sperm or not. was this part clear before?
MentalMischief
Neophyte
Member # 35152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentalMischief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry -It's easy to get paranoid, I have got myself worked up over the same kind of stuff.
Posts: 23 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Edited- never mind [Smile] ]

[ 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

In my earlier post, the last answer spoke of reviving the sperm. My question wasn't addressing reviving of sperms. i felt because of how long my post was, it must have been confusing and misread. it was really long! That's why I wanted to repost the question in a short and to the point manner, with an example. this way it has more clarity. I wasn't clear on the answer due to this confusion. What i took away from the last response was: oil cannot revive sperm. But my question wasn't about reviving the sperm. My question was : can oil keep sperm alive? as in, can living sperm continue living in oil, but without semen? The sperm never died. it just moved from one liquid to another. i didn't mean that the sperm is alive in semen, then it dies on drying and is revived with the oil. i didn't mean it like that. i wanted to make that part clear. i was unsure of how my question was put across before. I wanted to ask it correctly this time. I hope it's ok?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...can oil keep sperm alive? as in, can living sperm continue living in oil, but without semen? ...
No, and no. As was noted in the other answer to your question, sperm require a very specific environment to survive. Oil of any sort is not going to provide that environment. Also, you can't separate sperm from the overall semenal fluid (at least not without a very sophisticated lab) and just transfer the sperm cells into some sort of oil (bodily or otherwise). So just like any other surface, it's not going to survive more than 20 minutes on it's own.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

By transfer i meant that the sperm can swim from one liquid to another, from semen to oil. Since both the liquids are next to each other, rather on top of each other, the semen is on top of the oil, the sperm can swim from one to another. I was thinking of transfer in that sense.

I have another question. I have read on your site that once semen dries up, sperm immediately dies. now that you mention oil is a bad environment for sperm, Will sperm die immediately in oil as well ? (since there is no semen), or will it take a few minutes?

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it's just not going to really happen that way. Perhaps if you were talking about ejaculating into a vat of oil, then it might be an issue. But the oil on your skin (yes, even if you have really oily skin) is not going to be enough fluid for all the sperm to decide to vacate the semen (which doesn't exactly happen even in environments that are hospitable to the sperm anyway).

So again, here's the deal. If we are talking about ejaculate on the skin, it's going to survive about as long as it would on any other inhospitable surface...about 20 minutes tops (it'll dry out in about that length of time). If you wash or wipe away the ejaculate, there will not be sperm left to present a risk. The oil on your skin is not enough to immediately kill any sperm present in the ejaculate. (Again, if you ejaculated into a vat of oil, that MIGHT be a different story because that's an extremely inhospitable environment, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

I understood most of what you said. I had one doubt in the sentence below.

You had written:

In the last part of the above sentence, which I have highlighted, you are talking about wet ejaculate and the whole of it (ie. sperm + seminal fluid combined), correct? When you say, sperm present in the ejaculate, you are talking about a situation where in wet seminal fluid (ejaculate) is present as well, and the sperms are swimming in it. correct ? And that small amounts of oil can't affect wet ejaculate immediately. Is my understanding correct ?

The above sentence is not talking about just sperm alone (with no seminal fluid covering or surrounding it). ???

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Yes, relatively small amounts of oil (like those on your skin) are not going to be sufficient to immediately work as a spermicide.

And again, unless you have a sophisticated laboratory facility, you are not going to have sperm alone anyway since it's not going to separate from the rest of the ejaculate. So worrying about that point is pretty moot.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

Ok, so you were talking about wet ejaculate in that sentence. Cool.

you wrote:

To the above sentence my question is, since small amounts of oil won't affect ejaculate immediately, how long would it take for the sperms in the ejaculate to die then?

So far this this is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere:-
If fresh semen is ejaculated on an oily surface (skin, tabletop etc), the oil will not be able to kill sperms immediately in the wet ejaculate. The semen would have to be completely dried out in order for the sperms to die. Once the semen has dried up, the sperms will shrivel up and die immediately even if oil is present below the dried sperms. The oil below these shriveled up dried sperms will not keep it alive for even a second, the sperms would be dead on the spot. The oil would have no affect on the dried sperms at all. It won't keep it alive, nor will it kill it. Have I understood all this correctly?

But just for information, if sperms and seminal fluid were separated through lab instruments etc. and the separated sperms were taken and put into small or moderate amounts of oil, how long would it take for the sperms to die in this situation? A few min. or a few seconds or immediately?

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Pretty much. Once the fluid dries, any sperm that were present would be dead at that point as well. Generally, the lifespan of sperm in a hostile environment (on your hand, table, sheets, whatever) is something like 20 minutes tops. It might be shorter depending upon the exact specifics of the situation, how much is present, whether it's wiped up, etc. But you can think about the average as around 20 minutes.

As to your last question, I don't know the answer to that exactly. I would guess that it would probably depend upon a lot of factors like the specific type of oil, the amount of oil vs. the amount of sperm, the temperature of the environment, etc. For that, you would have to find a scientist who studied that sort of thing.

[ 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

I see. But, once semen has dried up, the oil on the surface wont keep the sperm alive for even a second, right? This part is correct? Here, I am talking about semen which has just just dried, just AFTER 20 minutes, not after hours. Exactly after 20 minutes when the semen has just dried up, the shriveled up sperms are now without semen, the oil on the surface, won't keep it alive for even a sec or minute, right? since the semen has dried. After the semen has dried, I don't need to wait another 20 minutes for the left over sperms to die in oil also ? which would total into 40 min.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

No, the oil on it's own won't keep the sperm alive. I can't promise that after EXACTLY 20 minutes and 1 second everything will be dead (it could be shorter, etc. depending upon the exact environmental factors at the time)...but the average time it takes to dry up & die is about 20 minutes. But generally speaking, no, the oil will not keep it alive for further time. As I've said several times, sperm requires a very specific environment to survive...the oil on a person's skin does not provide that environment. There is no need to wait 40 minutes.

Honey, we can't belabor this point with you any further. I'm not sure what else there is to say. Once ejaculate on the skin is dry to touch, the sperm is dead. Period. It doesn't matter how oily your skin is or is not. This is just not something you need to spend your time worrying about. If it still concerns you, I'd suggest you speak with your doctor about it.

[ 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

raddy
Neophyte
Member # 35049

Thank you for answering all my posts and being so patient with me. Its pretty much all clear. I am sorry if something things were repeated. I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying properly. Many times its easy to misunderstand what someone has written, so best is to make clear to them what you have understood from what they have said.Your responses helped me a lot ! Thank you very much ! A lot of my questions are answered.

I wanted to clear up one very last point if its okay with you. Just in response to your reply in one of the answers.

I had asked:
But just for information, if sperms and seminal fluid were separated through lab instruments etc. and the separated sperms were taken and put into small or moderate amounts of oil, how long would it take for the sperms to die in this situation? A few min. or a few seconds or immediately?

You had replied:
As to your last question, I don't know the answer to that exactly. I would guess that it would probably depend upon a lot of factors like the specific type of oil, the amount of oil vs. the amount of sperm, the temperature of the environment, etc. For that, you would have to find a scientist who studied that sort of thing.

In reply to your above answer, I wanted to say I had 2 situations in mind:

a). Sperms separated from semen (through whatever method) and are put in a small amount, smatterings of oil and are exposed to air in room temperature.

b). Sperms separated from semen (Lab equip. etc) put in a VAT of oil, exposed to air in room temperature.

Would these details better help you know how long the sperms would survive in such a situation, or rather how long they would take to die.

As you said, yes I will try and get this cleared by an authority on such subjects, but just incase you know the answer to the above two situations, i would be very grateful to know. Otherwise no problem. It was just this one last thing I wanted to clear.

I didn't know how sperm functions in semen, and a lot of details about semen and sperm that's why i had so many questions. Thanks again for helping me. I mean it.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Those are questions that are outside the scope and resources that we have here. If you are concerned about or interested in those situation, you're going to have to seek out a scientist who studies those types of things specifically. You might consider asking at your local university or medical center. If you want more specific information about how sperm function, I would encourage you to seek out the scientific literature available in books and journals to learn more that way.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

fmlomg
Neophyte
Member # 44372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fmlomg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so if my boyfriend ejaculated in a tissue and left the tissue all rolled up on my bed for 3 hours is there any possibility of it transferring onto bedsheets and me gettin pregnant?

sorry. stupid question. i have anxiety problems

--------------------
s

Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely no chance of that happening - sperm can only survive about 20 minutes (at most) outside the body. They will definitely not survive three hours in a tissue. In addition to that, pregnancy generally takes direct genital-to-genital contact; pregnancy just isn't going to happen through transfer of semen from a tissue to a bed sheet to your vulva. (I'm honestly not even sure how they would be transferred from a bed sheet to your genitals.)

(Just FYI, in the future please start a new topic if you have a new question. Sometimes posts get lost if they're added to a different, already-existing thread.)

[ 11-07-2009, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camscouts
Neophyte
Member # 74895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camscouts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: camscouts ]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.