Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » a different anal sex and hpv question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a different anal sex and hpv question
galalll
Neophyte
Member # 34919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for galalll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got out of an abusive relationship (all aspects) in January. The guy liked to have anal sex without condoms. I could never get him to wear one. Not to mention, he would just "slip" in there, and I was never prepared. I never liked anal sex, but he would get angry if I did not do it. After I got out of the relationship, I had a pap and was found to have HPV (not the wart kind). Since January, I have been having rectal bleeding. Now I have had a history of hemorrhoids, so wasn't so concerned at first. But the bleeding, which has since been diagnosed as hemorrhoids, has not stopped. I have been seeing a GI doctor for the hemorrhoids and even had a sigmoidoscopy (sp?)done, which also confirmed hemorrhoids. I am concerned about HPV and anal sex. I have not disclosed to my doctor about the HPV and anal sex, as I am rather embarrassed about the whole situation, especially since I could never get him to wear a condom.

Would the HPV be causing the hemorrhoids? Should I be worried about anal HPV? What do I do? Please help me, I have been worried for months!

Thank you!

Posts: 4 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't been entirely upfront with your doctor about your history, that would be your priority. It can be difficult to properly care for someone if they don't know the whole situation. Don't be scared or embarrassed, doctors have truly "seen it all" and they are also bound by law to keep your private matters confidential. I would disclose any and all history, hemorrhoids, abusive relationship, anal sex, etc. and see if your doctor can use this information to provide you with clearer answers.

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
galalll
Neophyte
Member # 34919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for galalll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that, I even put "risky" sexual behavior on the form to discuss later with the GI, but she never asked anything about it.

Should I worry about the HPV and anal sex?

Posts: 4 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi galalll,

I don't personally have the knowledge to answer your question regarding anal sex and HPV. It is a very valid concern and something your doctor should address (and if she isn't sure, she should offer you a referal for a second opinion.)

SO sorry you're going through this all on top of the abusive relationship. [Frown] But I hope you feel ok enough to discuss with all with your doctor; it's nothing to be ashamed of (something a lot of people do and something doctors deal with everyday), and, in fact, not your fault considering the abusive aspects of the relationship. If it's not feeling so comfortable discussing it all with this particular doctor, I'd recommend switching to one you like more. [Smile]

(Here are two forums you might be interested in):
STD Sufferers
I got out! (Of an abusive relationship)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...change that "I don't know" to "I may have found something..."

This website seems to provide some good information on diagnosing and treating HPV transfered through anal sex. Please check it out and let us know if it has the answers you're looking for.

[ 08-07-2007, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
galalll
Neophyte
Member # 34919

Thank you for the sites. I will definitely be checking them out.

I saw my regular doctor yesterday, the one I have been seeing for a while, as opposed to the student health center, and talked to him about the anal sex and HPV. Since I was diagnosed with the HPV that causes cervical cancer, he said there isn't anything to worry about, as that one cannot affect the rectum. However, he said if I had the HPV that causes genital warts, there would be concern, as warts could develop in the rectum.

Thank you for your help!

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

You're welcome, galalll. Great to hear your regular doctor was able to help! Good luck with everything and we're here if you have more questions for or discussions with us. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.