Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is my doctor correct in saying this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is my doctor correct in saying this?
snarky
Neophyte
Member # 31948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the doctor today to see if I had a UTI. (She's not sure if I do, and I'll get the test results in a few days. I'm on antibiotics now, but this is all beside the point.)

In addition to taking a urine sample, she asked me if I was sexually active to which I responded yes. Then she went through my records, asked me if I was still on the birth control pill, and I said no. She asked me what sort of protection I was using and I told her condoms. Then she said,
"Those are great for preventing STD's, but not for pregnancy. Ask you gyno to put on you on another birth control method. I really don't want you to be pregnant, and I'm sure you don't either."

Errm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that condoms were 98% effective if used correctly. I went off the pill because I had horrible side effects. This has caused me to not be entirely enthusiastic about hormonal birth control, and I'm really not excited about using an IUD. I use condoms correctly with lubricant, before all genital-to-genital contact, yadayadayada, so should I really be worried about using something else?

How could condoms protect against STD's and NOT PREGNANCY? I mean, if you had a condom failure, wouldn't you lose protection from both? I don't get it [Frown]

[ 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: snarky ]

Posts: 39 | From: los angeles | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, for typical use, the birth control pill is more effective for birth control.

However, that does NOT mean that you cannot have effective birth control w/ condoms too. Things like using lub, using condoms for all genital contact, and storing condoms properly all contribute to efficacy of condoms ... These will bring you closer to 'perfect use' rate (which is 98%).

If you're uncomfortable w/ the 15% failure rate (for typical use for condoms), then i would suggest you look at using another non hormonal method, such as the cervical cap, diaphragm or fertility awareness (in addition to the condoms).

Basically, you HAVE options. Don't let your doctor (or anyone!) force you into something that you're not comfortable w/.

Check it out!
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives

[ 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snarky
Neophyte
Member # 31948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's perfectly okay that I'm comfortable only using condoms? After she said that, I've been feeling a little weird and second-guessing myself. But I know that if anything were to go wrong, I would have the option of taking EC or (God forbid) getting an abortion.
Posts: 39 | From: los angeles | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely. You only take risks that YOU and your partner are comfortable with, whether that be using condoms, or the pill, or what-have-you.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.