Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bad smell after period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad smell after period
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if a menstrual period causes odor. Yesterday morning my bleeding stopped but I still had some after discharge and I noticed that I had a bad odor down there.( I sniffed the discharge) and I noticed that last month during my period too. I had a bad odor after the blood stopped for about two days or so and then it was back to normal. Is my period causing this smell? Thank you
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes our discharges can smell a little different or stronger after or during a period, but they still shouldn't smell foul. Any funky discharge should be checked out by a doctor or gyn.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, what menstrual products are you using?

I used to find that when I used regular pads or tampons, everything would smell funny for several days after my period. I think of the chemicals used in the processing of those products just upset my natural balance a tiny bit and the mixture of my own bodily fluids and sweat with those products further contributed to the oddness. Once I switched to the Keeper and cloth pads (which, incidentally, save me a small fortune each year), the problem went away completely.

So you might consider what products you are using. Even if you don't want to switch to reusables just yet, you might try some of the unbleached/less processed types you can get at health food stores.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for ur reply. It really wasnt a foul smell..just strong and different. I checked this morning and the smell is gone. I have been reading on the net that BV can cause odor during period. is this true? I had BV some time ago and was treated for it. If BV causes the smell, would it go away after my period was over or linger? I'm asking because I only smell this smell when I am bleeding or a few days after. Now I don't smell it anymore. Because of my job schedule I wont be able to get to a doc anytime soon, but I was reading on the net about boric acid. Anybody have any experience with that?

And I use Always overnight pads (I have a heavy flow).

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.