Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Full STD testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Full STD testing
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(BTW, I first used the "ask a sexpert" link to post this because I didn't realize it wasn't part of the message board. I apologize for asking twice.)

I had my physical today, with pelvic and pap smear. I asked to have a full STD test, not because I'm worried or concerned about having an STD but just because I've never had one before. I didn't think about it until after I left, but they didn't give me a cheek swab or blood test for HIV. Is there a vaginal swab for HIV? If not, how can they give me a "full STD screening" without checking for HIV?

I have no qualms about calling them out on it (and telling them that they SHOULD have included it, or asked if I wanted it included), I was just curious because I've never heard about a vaginal HIV test and I won't know for sure exactly what tests they ran until I receive my results.

Thank you!

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very right, without a blood test, you didn't really receive a full STI screening. As far as I know, the standard test for HIV is a blood test, and to boot, in a full screen part of the blood sample is used for a syphilis test as well. Good for you for thinking of it and not being afraid to call them back! [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly after I posted, I called to ask and they said that they hadn't done HIV or syphilis testing, only the cervical swabs. I told her that I had asked for full STD screening and she said she didn't know that I had wanted that too. I told her I don't know what to think if those aren't included in "full STD testing". Yeah, I figured it out but I'm sure there are plenty of others who won't.

Anyway, I'm going to go get a blood test soon. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.