Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » discharge question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: discharge question
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 5 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another random question that has me not really concerned, but wondering.

Everything I've read about vaginal discharge describes "fertile" discharge as clear, slippery, and stretchy, and "non-fertile" discharge as stickier, etc. So my question is this: is clear, slippery, and stretchy discharge necessarily "fertile"? Does it always mean that you are going to ovulate soon?

For example, I've been on the pill for a while, and never really looked at my discharge until a few months ago. I've noticed that sometimes it does resemble "fertile" mucus. I know that the pill does all kinds of strange stuff to your discharge, so I don't know if this should make me concerned about possible ovulation or not.

Anyway, I know that this is a bit convoluted, and that the pill is really, really effective, but sometimes I wonder about that 1% or whatever it is...

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, here's the thing, watching your discharge to predict cycle changes doesn't work when you're on the pill. Hormonally, different things are happening with your body. So your discharge won't match up with that of your average woman who isn't on the pill. If you did happen to ovulate on the pill (unlikely unless you've been taking your pills incorrectly), there's no guarantee about whether you could tell from discharge changes or not. If you were not on the pill, you certainly could watch your discharge as part monitoring fertility.

If you're concerned about that 1%, why not back up your pill with another method like condoms, a diaphram, cervical cap, or Lea's shield? Really, if pregnancy is that much of a concern for you right now, it's a wonderful idea to either backup your pill with something else or to simply abstain from sexual activity.

[ 05-31-2007, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I don't particularly want to abstain (and I don't think that my husband would particularly appreciate it, understanding as he is). More than anything, I think that I need to work on controlling my anxiety, which tends to be [constantly] on the side of paralyzingly out of control.
Thanks for the great site...

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.