Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Questions about my period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about my period
archer
Activist
Member # 27799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well some really strange things about my period have intrigued me about my period so I thought will ask scarleteen

1) I know that every month, an egg is released into the fallopian tubes and a hormone is released which prepares the uterine lining to protect the gg if at all it gets fertilized. Let's assume it doesn't and I know it's the shedding of the uterine lining that brings on your period. So what happens to the egg?

2) So does that mean the bleeding that happens during your period is unwanted blood from your body?

3) Does this lost blood get recycled after your period is over?

4) And what is that that brings on an early period thus shortening the cycle of 28 days?

Thanks a lot

--------------------
archer

Posts: 104 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) The menstrual lining slowly builds up through the cycle, production peaking at ovulation with the help of progesterone, the hormone responsible for making the endometrium soft and nourishing. If fertilized, the ovum will attach itself to the endometrial lining 6-12 days after ovulation and release a hormone called hCG to maintain the menstrual lining and stop your period. hCG is the hormone that pregnancy tests detect.

If unfertilized, the egg will deteriorate, and the body will know from lack of hCG that there is no pregnancy, and menstruation will begin.

2) Yep. If you're not pregnant, there's no need for the endometrium. [Smile]

3) You only lose a small amount of blood during the menstrual cycle; a few tablespoons, at most. Much of what you see is mostly endometrial material, and the small amount of blood lost is easily replaced by the body in most cases.

4) Sometimes women's bodies can go haywire! This often happens for no apparent reason at all, but an unusual cycle length, whether short or late, can be caused by physical or psychological stress. Too, it's important to remember that not every woman has a perfect 28-day cycle, and it usually years of observation before a woman can get a feel for her own cycle.

Phew! Hope I got everything! [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archer
Activist
Member # 27799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow thank you so much...and I must add even 11 years after I first menstruated there are times when my periods go out of whack....a complicated body indeed women have!

--------------------
archer

Posts: 104 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.