Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » i really need to see a doctor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i really need to see a doctor
snarky
Neophyte
Member # 31948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about a hemmorhoid and a possible vaginal infection (my discharge has been kind of funky...)

i told my mom and she yelled at me. like, full on yelled at me. she says she needs to pay the bills and that i "just went to the doctor." she screamed that our insurance doesn't cover anything. then she asked me why i needed to see the doctor, but i got embarrassed in front of my grandparents and left the room.

what do i do? i'm really worried.
i don't have my license, but i'm sure my sister could drive me somewhere... but how am i going to pay for a doctor's visit? i get so paranoid about my health it's not even funny. especially when it involves my reproductive health.

Posts: 39 | From: los angeles | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, in my book, when you're old enough to be sexually active, you're old enough to also manage the costs of sexual activity and sexual healthcare.

That's a pretty important part of readiness, being able to really carry that kind of full responsibility.

In California, the beauty is that you can get this sort of care for FREE if you're low-income and uninsured, so check it out: http://www.dhs.ca.gov/pcfh/ofp/Programs/FamPACT/default.htm

If you ARE insured, but still have no income of your own, clinics like Planned Parenthood offer slinding-scales based on your income level.

So sorry you got yelled at. [Frown]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snarky
Neophyte
Member # 31948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this had nothing to do with my sexual activity. i said "reproductive health care" because it involved my vagina. i've been abstinent for roughly 7 months now.

but yeah, thanks. i'll look into the fam pact.
i'm a bit intimated by all of this, considering i'm only 17 years old. i still don't know how health care and insurance works. how do i get access to this type of information (without a bias / advertisement)? sorry if this is a stupid question.

and yeah, i didn't expect my mom to freak out and was unaware of our small insurance coverage. she's taken me to the doctor plenty of times before. it was when i went to the gyno's office that i was on my own. (however, my sister was with me so she helped me fill out the insurance information and whatnot.)

[ 02-23-2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: snarky ]

Posts: 39 | From: los angeles | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have been sexually active, and when that's been the case, that's always part of reproductive issues, even when a person isn't sexually active at the moment. That's why I mentioned that.

In terms of finding out about your insurance, if it's your family insurance, really, the only way to find out about that is to either look into whatever paperwork your family has on your plan or just call your provider and ask.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.