Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Crying Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crying Problem
88Jigowatts
Neophyte
Member # 32737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88Jigowatts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 17 year old male who has a crying problem, well more of a lack there of. I CAN'T cry. Sometimes when my girlfriend is crying over something, i really wish i could cry too, but i find that i just can't. I am afraid that my girlfriend thinks that i dont love her that much or i am uninterested in our relationship because i can't cry, even though that is certaintly not the case. I love her so much [Big Grin] . Can anyone give any insight as to why i am unable to cry?
Posts: 5 | From: Mass. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people cry much more easily than others, and some find it very hard to cry.

That can sometimes be because of stereotypes we've absorbed - e.g. that crying is "weak", or that "boys don't cry" - but sometimes it's just how people naturally are.

But there are lots of different ways to communicate.

How about telling her in words that you love her and don't want her to think you're uninterested just because you don't cry?

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missdiamond87
Neophyte
Member # 31957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missdiamond87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh erm well i got the oppersite problem i feel like i want to cry loads and loads the last few days have been really bad with this feeling of wanting to cry, but im not letting myself i dont know why i want to cry eaither im not on my period, ive been taking my anti depreasents ive been filling in job apps and im bk with my bloke (were sorting it all out but we still need to talk whcih we aint been able to do just yet)!

and i just feel soooooo sad its really strong feeling and it want lift and i can feel lie the tears in my eyes wanting to break out but im not gonna cry cos i aint got anything to cry about.

why do i feel like this?

Posts: 31 | From: london | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you're feeling pretty unhappy.

Are you seeing a counsellor as well as taking the anti-depressants? If so, this is something you could talk to him/her about.

Wanting to cry all the time can be part of depression, or just regular unhappiness and stress.

And obviously not being able to talk to your partner about things you need to talk about can be a stress, especially if you're already feeling vulnerable.

In the meantime, it can help to try letting yourself cry - sometimes it's a relief and can make you feel a bit better.

Your sadness is real, whether you think you've got "anything to cry about" or not - it's not like you need a permission slip to be allowed to cry! [Smile]

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missdiamond87
Neophyte
Member # 31957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missdiamond87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks i aint got counclling till march now its got cut to every 4 weeks now i just cant explane it!
Posts: 31 | From: london | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.