Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy and Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy and Periods
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to fall into the rest of the group and keep asking, "Am I pregnant?" but I've been doing some research and I've got a few questions to ask.

I'm ashamed to say that my boyfriend and I have recently been having sex without condoms, but I've been taking Levlen 28 for about 10 months now and this month didn't miss a single pill or had to take 2 in one day. Everything was spot on. I've started my period 5 days after my placebos started, just like I always have and it's heavy like usual.

One thing that's been bothering me is my stomach area. It could be a little weight gain from my fall sports ending, bloating from my period, etc. But last night, the bottom of my stomach, usually where "baby fat" is, was rather firm and shapely, like I was a couple weeks pregnant. I could be paranoid, actually, I'm almost certain I am.

I know not wearing condoms creates a risk and my boyfriend has told me he doesn't mind to go back to wearing them. He does practice the withdrawal method, although we know it's not 100% effective.

I guess my question would be can a woman get pregnant, still have her monthly period at the expected time, and have no symptoms of breast tenderness, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, etc?

My mind is telling me not to be stupid, that I'm not pregnant and just to stop worrying, but it's such a big deal and if there's a possibility with these circumstances, I'd like to know so I can get that confirmation from a HPT.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A women a couple weeks pregnant doesn't actually have any changes to the appearance of her stomach. Really. That's a couple months, not weeks, and for many women, even longer than that. No one shows in a couple of weeks: a two-week-old fetus is about the tinest thing you can imagine. Your stomach would be more likely to show from eating a bean burrito than that. [Smile]

You've been takin the pill on time, so there really is no reason to feel you have had a big pregnancy risk, if any pregnancy risk. You've also had your normal withdrawal bleeds.

Really, I'd advise you just take a test to take care of this paranoia: ten bucks to give you peace of mind is a good deal. And since this obviously is a big worry, I'd also advise you go back to backing up with condoms, if for no other reason that your mental well-being.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23394

Icon 7 posted      Profile for musical_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That actually sums up exactly what I worry about! I know it's so unlikely, I've been on birth control pills for nearly a year now AND use condoms, yet i still worry if I'm pregnant now and again even though I've only ever forgotten to take 2 pills in the time ive been on it- and I took those within the time limit that doesnt lower protection. I'm not sure what brings it on really! I suppose its just a big fear for me! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 146 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.