Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » spermicide lubricant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: spermicide lubricant
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question...

Why do spermicide-coated condoms have a two or three year shelf life, as opposed to condoms that have a five-year shelf life? Is this because the latex will deteriorate more rapidly with the spermicide on it, or does the expiration date just mean that is when the spermicide is no longer effective?

(I know spermicide-coated condoms are virtually useless anyway, but I was just curious. I have some around that expire in a year, and I was wondering why.)

Thank you!

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you guys are busy and work purely on a volunteer basis, but wasn't sure if this got overlooked on accident.

Just checking! [Smile]

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually if a post is responded to as quickly as some others (as long as it's within the same day, at least), it means the volunteers who have been on the boards are probably just not sure of the correct answer, and we try our best to refrain from posting unless we are as certain of an answer as we can be.

I tried doing some research on the half-life of Nonoxynol-9 itself, but wasn't able to find anything, so I can't comment on the shelf-life of the spermicidal lubricant itself (though that is definitely probable).

I'd reckon, due to the nature of spermicide, it's more likely a spermicidal lubricant will break down condom latex faster than just the conditions a normally lubricated condom endures.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.