Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control and Sexual Performance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control and Sexual Performance
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 8 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking the birth control pill Levlen 28 for about 10-11 months now and I've had no severe side effects; no nausea, vomiting, etc. and it seems to work wonders on my cramps every month.

I have a boyfriend of almost 3 yrs. and we just started having sex in August of this year. When we started everything was fine, I didn't and still don't get much pleasure from vaginal intercourse, but other than that we had no problems. Lately I've noticed that when we begin any sexual activity, I'm aroused and I do produce lubrication, but once we begin sexual intercourse, I "dry up" so to speak to where it becomes the friction becomes painful. I've found particularly in the woman-on-top position that my lubrication seems to disappear. My body now seems to associate woman-on-top with pain but I'd like to do him the favor of not having to do all the work once in a while.

I've read that birth control can cause low to medium vaginal dryness. Is this the root of our problem? Not being able to finish sex and having this problem has caused a lot of self-esteem issues for me and is frustrating both of us. I don't want a simple thing like this come between our physical bond we share. I know that most people would say, "use some water-based, latex-safe lubricant," but we've tried KY Liquid twice and both times it burned me so bad that we had to completely stop all sexual acts. Although, when we did use it, it was in the middle of sex when I felt myself getting dry. Could it have burned because of the irritation from the friction?

Could anyone give me any advice on what to do about this? Should I try the KY Liquid again BEFORE we start sex, or try another brand? I don't want to keep using it if I'm allergic to something in it. I saw in the Scarleteen store that Astroglide is by far the most preferable of lubricants. Does it even matter?

Thanks for any advice. This will mean a lot to our relationship.

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not yet using a good lubricant, that's absolutely the thing to try, because that's likely a totally easy fix.

(In fact, even for people without lubrication problems, we always advise lube. The more slippery sex is it's pretty much always better: it even makes great sex greater for most people.)

Per the KY and your reaction to it I'd take a look at the ingredients and shop for lubes accordingly. Astroglide is good for most, but you may always want to look into very low glycerin lubes, too.

But too, if intercourse isn't very good for you, period, have you also considered engaging in more sexual activities which ARE, even with lube?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.