Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How is a vagina suppose to smell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is a vagina suppose to smell?
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted previously about a smell that I was experiencing. Since then I went to the doctor and found that I still had a trich infection. Gave me some medicine. I kept track of the smell and it never left. Went back for a follow-up appointment and was told that the trich was gone and that I had BV. She put me on Flagyl for a week and I had to take two a day. The smell is still there. I was also checked for yeast, Gonorrhea and Clymidia. All negative.

I'm thinking that this could just be my normal scent because all my infections are gone and when I told the doctor about it she said that she couldn"t smell anything. She said she had a pretty strong nose and that everything smelled fine.

It is not an offensive odor at all. Doesnt smell bad or anything. Just a faint odor. Sometimes I can smell it a little bit and sometimes barely at all. It isn't strong or anything. I'm curious about it because I never really noticed it before. It is quite possible that the smell could have always been there and I'm just now noticing it. Is a vagina suppose to have a specific scent?

Everything else is fine. No itching, redness, discharge looks perfect. I was wondering if you guys think I should go get checked out again? I was smelling the scent even before I was diagnosed with BV. And even afer my trich test was negative..I still smelled it so I dont think that it is BV or std related.

Well I'm just wondering if you guys think I should go back to the doctor to make sure everything is ok or do u think I'm just making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks!

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, vaginal scent tends to be best described as musky, not entirely unlike the sort of smell you have in your armpits if you don't use deoderant.

During some parts of the fertility cycle that scent can be a bit stronger: if you're on the pill, and thus having thicker discharge, it might also smell a bit stronger. Obviously, some genital infections can create a stronger scent, but it sounds to me like you've been fully screened for those. And post-BV, it may take a bit of time for your vagina to rebalance itself (usually one cycle) and smell back to normal if you had any scent changes with that.

So, I don't see a reason to go back to your doctor.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your comment. I finished up my medicine about two weeks ago. Maybe close to three. I just had a period as well. As a matter of fact I was on my period while I was still taking Flagyl. Is BV hard to treat? I'm thinking that there is no way I could still have it with all the Flagyl I have been taking for trich. But I was curious about that. I had no clue I had BV. I had a little itch here and an itch there..but it was so seldom that I barely noticed it.

So if the smell is related to BV then I guess it should be back to normal soon then right? Thanks again!

Also, how does one get BV by the way?...I don't doche, haven't had sex or anything or did anything out of the ordinary. What causes BV and are there any home remedies to treat it?

[ 12-17-2006, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: nina_brown04 ]

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.