Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

I woke up this morning with a little bump on the top of my lip. Now, I've always been scared of having herpes because then I always have the risk of spreading it to someone. So, I looked up pictures of what a cold sore looks like, and mine sort of looked like the pictures, but certainly not as severe and very tiny. It is a small reddish bump that hurt in the morning, and throughout the day the pain was gone. It looks maybe like a little pus bump, but I'm not sure. It could just be a pimple? I'm very scared because I don't want to give my partner herpes. Should I not kiss him at all? Is there always a risk of spreading herpes, when there isn't an outbreak?

I'm especially scared of giving him genital herpes, because I read that condoms only minimally decrease the chance of spreading herpes.

This is very very upsetting. What should I do?

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's assume that it *IS* oral herpes for the time being.

If you have oral herpes, condoms are HIGHLY effective in protecting your partner against infection during oral sex. After all, during oral sex, it's easier to stay on the latex-covered zones.

The only reason genital herpes can pread even with condom use is that herpes is spread by skin contact, and the virus can be shed from all over the genitals all the way back towards the anus, and even on the upper inner thighs.

Oral herpes as you probably have then are only being shed from the mouth. You aren't shedding virus from your genitals.

Anyway, avoid kissing during an outbreak. Some people do shed all the time, and that is the case if you get lots of outbreaks. And it's more likely when you are newly infected (outbreaks and viral shedding decrease with time). And if you are having lots of cold sores, ask your doctor about taking medications like Valtrex and Zovirax.

Don't freak out too much. Just try to process the info and figure out your plan of action. If you've got more questions, come back and ask.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.