Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Itchy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itchy
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on antibiotics for a UTI and my vagina has been very irritated and I have been scratching and I have scratched some skin off in some areas. Is there anything that I can put on my vagina to heal it? Like antibiotic ointment or something? I dont think I have a yeast infection because my discharge looks fine. My vagina is a little red though and I can see where I have scratched skin off. I think I just had a regular itch and I made it worse by scratching it and now its itching because the skin is healing. Will some antibiotic ointment hel'? Thanks!
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want to put most ointments on your genital tissue. A gentler option is just some pure aloe vera gel.

That itchiness likely IS from a yeast imbalanace, even if it isn't a full-blown infection. Antibiotics often throw the vaginal flors out of whack, so it's smart, when taking them, to be sure and protect against that with an acidophilus supplement, or just by eating some fresh yogurt every day, which also has those cultures in it.

And stop scratching, obviously. [Smile] Should the itchiness keep getting worse, you'll want to be looked at again, I'm afraid, to make sure you don't have another infection that needs treatment.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another quick question. I was reading online that some Stds can cause UTIs. I was wondering when they test urine would they be able to tell if the infection was due to an STD. For example I had protein, white blood cells, and nitrates in my urine. If it was due to an STD would the results be the same or would a urine culture be necessary to tell? Im just curious. Thanks!
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Urinary Tract Infection is caused by a different bacteria than those bacteria that cause STIs. What you were reading may have meant or been mistaking the fact that some STIs (Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, specifically) can cause something called urethritis, which is similar to a UTI in its symptoms, and that it's caused by bacteria, but it's not quite the same thing.

And unless a doctor is specifically testing for STIs, they're not going to be able to see if what you were suffering was caused by an STI. In order to determine if you have an STI, you do need to specifically request or your doctor needs to specifically order those.

The quick test for a UTI, however, which can be done in the doctor's office with a urine sample while you're there, would be able to determine if you were suffering specifically because a of a UTI.

Did that make sense?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

ok I think I understand. Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.