Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Vaccines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaccines
pinkbunny
Neophyte
Member # 30328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkbunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I was wondering, how do vaccines work exactly? Can it help you if you already have the illness/infection? I read something about an HPV vaccine, would it be of any use to someone who already has HPV? Oh yeah, and is there any cure for hpv at all? I heard from some people that there is this product out there called repivar, but it looks very fishy.

[ 10-06-2006, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: pinkbunny ]

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vaccines don't work if you already have the illness, no. So if you have been diagnosed with HPV, the vaccine will not be useful for you.

Right now there is no long-term cure for HPV, which is a good reason why it is important for people without it to get vaccinated.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not supposed to post here, and I apologize for doing so, but even if someone has had HPV, they should still get the vaccine. Gardasil protects from Types 6, 11, 16, and 18, and most people are not infected with all four types. So even if you've been infected with type 16 hpv (for example) the vaccine will still protect you from types 6, 11, and 18. It's been proven in studies that people who either currently have a strain of HPV, or were infected in the past, are protected from the other strains. The vaccine doesn't treat current infections, however.

Facts taken from the Gardasil Patient Information webpage: http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/g/gardasil/gardasil_ppi.pdf

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.