Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HPV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

A few years ago, I thought I might have contracted genital warts. Since then, I've had 4 PAP smears, all of which came back absolutely normal. So, I'm pretty sure I haven't got HPV. But, now I'm questioning myself. My boyfriend and I have had sex without a condom, and about 4 months after doing so for the first time, he's got clusters of bumps where his pubic hair is. But, these bumps aren't on his penis or scrotum, and the only showed up after he shaved all of his pubic hair off. I think they're HPV because of my past, and because that's what I think HPV looks like. He thinks they're ingrown hairs that got infected, since it's only showed up after shaving. He's using an antibiotic ointment on them, and that seems to be getting rid of them.

So, my question is, can I still have HPV if it doesn't show up on my PAP smears. I don't have any bumps myself. The other 2 partners I've been with without condoms don't have any instances of HPV. And, where do I go from here?

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can still have HPV if it doesn't show up on the Pap. You can get a specific HPV test. Unlike the Pap, the HPV test focuses on the molecular structure of a sample of your cervical cells and detects the genetic code of HPV.

Gotta love those geneticists.

btw, you should look into getting Gardasil, the new HPV vaccine. It's slowly becoming available in some areas of the US. If you haven't been exposed to HPV, it's effective against 70% of the HPV strains, and a majority of viral strains that cause genital warts. Even if you did have HPV, it's still effective against whatever mode of the virus you haven't been infected with.

re: the bumps. They may just be shaving bumps/ingrown hair bumps. To be safe, both of you should get the HPV test. It's obviously more important for you as a woman because of the risk of cervical cancer.

p.s. are you stuck in Philadephia? [Smile]

[ 10-03-2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, no I'm in a small upstate NY town...but I would be better off in the city. Actually, any city.

So, would it be possible for a strain to cause warts in one person and not another?

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, yeah. Aforementioned geneticists don't know all the ins and outs of HPV yet...

I'm familiar with upstate - where're you at?

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only about 1% of people carrying wart-causing straing of HPV will ever have warts. HPV can have a VERY long incubation period. It can take up to three years for symptoms to show up. So if your bf has genital warts, he may have contracted the virus eons ago from another partner.

btw, it's cool to see you back on the boards, pink.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.