Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bad Smell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Smell?
None
Neophyte
Member # 30806

Icon 11 posted      Profile for None     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me he didn't "go down" on me because his nose is sensitive...But before, it didn't smell at all. What can I do to prevent this embarrasment from happening again? ;[ I have shaved down there too...Does that make a difference? Do pubic hairs catch odors? Or repel them?
Posts: 13 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, there's no reason for you to feel embarassed. Everybody's body smells and tastes and looks different.

If he's given you oral sex in the past and doesn't do it lately, you may smell/taste differently to him. It could be related to where you're at in your cycle, or whatever you've been doing hygiene wise. We get used to our own body odor, so if it's a bit off, we aren't aware as other people.

Pubic hair can retain odor if the hair isn't so clean, just like the hair on your head. So if a person's pubic hair is generally unclean, shaving could theoretically cut down on the odor as long as the skin and genitals are clean.

This thread I linked deals with body hair issues.

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003629

The debate is still out on the purpose of pubes, though - one theory is that it acts as a trasmitter for hormones which potential sexual partners can detect on a sort of sub-sense level.

Ask him what's up - why hasn't he given you oral lately, especially if he liked doing it before?
Talk things out with him and see what he says.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
None
Neophyte
Member # 30806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for None     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what else can I do to cut down this smell besides washing like..6 times in the shower? ;\ Is there anything else? I know douches are harmful though.
Posts: 13 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right not to douche - it can mess up the natural acidity of your vagina.

Can you tell whether you smell as fresh as you normally do? Or are you just going by what your boyfriend's telling you?

The key thing here is, if you're washing yourself regularly, say 2x a day (once morning, once evening) you shouldn't encounter any odd smells, and neither should your boyfriend.
All your external genitals need to keep them clean is warm water. The vagina is a self-cleaning organ; harsh soaps can cause irration.

If you're keeping yourself clean and finding that your vagina has a strong yeasty or fishy odor, you need to go to your gyn and get checked out, because strong odor can be a sign of a yeast infection or vaginitis.

If you DON'T smell and your boyfriend is telling you that you do, then in all honesty, he's being an insensitive clod.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.