Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » labia major

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: labia major
carla85
Neophyte
Member # 30874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carla85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've searched this forum and others and haven't been able to find an answer to a question that's been nagging me for awhile... I see a lot of other girls are self concious about the size/shape of labia minor, but is there any "average" for the shape of the outer lips? I look at diagrams like the one on this website, and it looks like anatomy is supposed to be "flat".

Im 20 now, and I don't remember when it was that I started noticing I didn't look like any other girl I've ever seen in a bathing suit... I'm much larger on the outside, if that makes sense ( I guess the area called the mons or outer labia?). I'm super embarrassed about it and haven't worn a swim suit in public in about 3 years, or any kind of shorts,skirt, etc, that don't sort of mask that area. I can't even imagine ever being naked in front of someone because i feel like I look like a freak. I've even been too afraid to go to a gynecologist because I think she'll tell me I'm abnormal.

Is this weird? Do people ever get plastic surgery to fix themselves down there?

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your questions:

1. There is no average size.
2. It's called the outer labia - the mons is the fleshy part right over the lower part of your pubic bone.
3. You're not weird. You're absolutely normal. You may think your labia are big - but your body is shaped proportionately. You are the way you are for a reason... everybody is.

4. Yes, people do get labiaplasty.
It is a BAD idea. The surgery can cause permanent nerve damage in your genitals, lead to scarring that causes you long term discomfort, increased pain/decreased sensitivity during sex.

The labia have nerves just as does the rest of your body. Cut them and there's no going back.

I'm sure if you go to the GYN she will be reassuring and will answer whatever other questions you've got. Gyns are used to seeing a wide variety of people with radically dissimilar bodies.

Bathing suit issue - do you feel like you don't have enough coverage? If so, you could try wearing a bikini bottom with a sarong, or a skirted bikini. They are tres chic.

But... I think your worry is making you really critical of your body. This is something that only you have noticed, in all likelihood. If your labia were so big that they made wearing shorts impossible, you wouldn't be able to walk properly! Put things in perspective. Your body is perfectly normal.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.