Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Test Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Test Question
Nima
Neophyte
Member # 27836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here's the situation.

I have been on the pill for 5 full months now, however my boyfriend and I have continued to use the pill each and everytime we have had sex. In the last two months, I've moved to a different province, started university so I've been having trouble taking the pill on time everyday. If I had to guess Id say that I was late almost everytime for the first two weeks of my current pack of pills. Sometime in the middle of the third week of pills I had sex with my boyfriend with a condom on. What happened was that when he pulled out the condom stayed inside of me. Im not sure when or how it slipped off but I just gently pulled it out. The closed tip of the condom was still facing "up". I didn't feel it but I suppose that it's entirely possible that some sperm spilled out when I pulled it out.

My period is now 2 days late. I am worried about being pregnant. So my question is should I be taking a pregnancy test and if so when? At the end of the week, now? And also could the pill or anything else affect the result of that pregnancy test. Are my fears realistic or is my late period just the result of my being late taking the pill, stress, or some other changes? How long should I wait before my period is late enough to really worry about a pregnancy?

--------------------
:):):):):)

Posts: 4 | From: Calgary | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nima
Neophyte
Member # 27836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I meant to say at the beginning of the post is that my boyfriend and I have continued to use condoms each and every time we had sex.

sorry

--------------------

Posts: 4 | From: Calgary | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible you may have had a pregnancy risk (and an STI risk if you have not both been tested for STIs), so it is definitely mindful of you to be aware that pregnancy could be an issue.

It's likely you may be fine, and that the wonkiness with your pill and stress levels could be causing a delay in when your withdrawl bleed normally comes, but if it has been at least 10-14 days since that risk, you can take a pregnancy test now to get an accurate result. If you need to wait (because it's still too early) or you'd prefer to see if your withdrawl bleed comes before you need to start your new pack of pills, that's entirely up to you and shouldn't make a difference one way or another.

And no, a pregnancy test's results will not be affected by birth control pills or stress or any of that - just be sure to follow the instructions on the test and test first thing in the morning with the first monring's urine (if you were pregnant, the pregnancy hormones the test detects would be most concentrated then).

If you get a negative result and your withdrawl bleed doesn't show, you can test again the following week to double check. Also, in case you do choose to retest, do continue taking your pills normally anyway.

Hope that answered everything!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nima
Neophyte
Member # 27836

My period did come, so that was a huge relief and I think I'm back on track with the pill now. I take it on time everyday. I just have one more question. I scheduled an appointment with a doctor to get a pap test today. I've never had a pap test before, I know it's important for my health but I'm very nervous. What should I expect going into this? Is there anything I should be doing or not doing in preparation for this appointment?

thank you so much for the first reply by the way, it made me feel much better.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.