Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Antibiotics and pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics and pill
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I havent been around for a while, but as usual, I need answers, so I came here! I have been on the pill for about 4 years now, take it faithfully, everythings good, no problems. On september 1st, I went to the doctor for a ear and sinus infection. He gave me a shot, which he called "the strongest antibiotic that comes in a needle" and also prescribed me an antibiotic. I know it wasnt penicillin, but Im still going to act like it decreases my bc. I finished those on September 6th. I start my period tomorrow on the 13th. Well, I had sex on Saturday, the 10th. I knew about the risk of birth control and antibiotics, so we used a condom for all sexual contact. Im postive we used it right, so Im not really worried about a pregnancy risk on this incident, unless you think I should be? But my real question is when should I be safe again to use just the pill as my protection? How long do the antibiotics stay in my system? Does an antibiotic decrease the effectiveness of bc, or cancel it out completely? If so, by how much? Thanks again!
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason to be worried about a pregnancy risk from sex on September 10th - you used a condom, no problem there.

Per when you'll be protected again: consider your bc compromised and use a backup method until you start your next pack of pills. The antibiotics should be out of your system by now, but we always advise waiting until you've started on the next pack to be on the safe side. It's really not known by exactly how much an antibiotic will compromise the pill, or even if they all have that effect, but it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

So, wait until your placebo week for this current pack is done, and until you're into your next pack before you go without a backup method.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much! As always, quick, insightful answers!
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.