Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » antibiotics and birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antibiotics and birth control
Mee
Neophyte
Member # 25978

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have a question because my doctor gave me different information than my pharmacist. When I first went on birth control (the pill) I told my doctor that I was on Menocyclin (an antibiotic for my acne) and I asked if it would interfere with the pill. She said not to worry that the chances were higher if I missed a pill of me getting pregnant than that of me getting pregnant due to the antibiotics. So this weekend my boyfriend and I had sex using only the pill as protection. However I kinda started stressing about the antibiotic interfering and so i called the pharmacist and he said that I need to use a back up form to avoid pregnancy. Can you please tell me my pregnancy risk? Is it high, or moderate, or low etc. I was wondering if I should get EC (by the time i can get it it will have been over 72hrs but less than 120). Thanks.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this is the end of your first cycle of pills, it's really difficult to put an exact estimate to it. If getting pregnant absolutely is NOT an option right now, then you might do well to look into getting EC (at least call and ask if it is recommended).

For future reference, I'd support what your pharmacist advised. Do make sure that you are using a backup (like condoms or a diaphram) for as long as you are taking the antibotics and then for a full cycle after you stop the antibotics. If you don't want to get pregnant, you're much better safe than sorry.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mee
Neophyte
Member # 25978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.