Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control
me5460
Neophyte
Member # 10080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me5460     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long after you start taking the pill does it become effective?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recomend that you complete one full cycle of pills before relying on it to be fully effective against pregnancy. Then, as long as you are taking it correctly, you should fully protected.

Condoms, of course, offer not only a great first form of protection to make your pregnancy risks near impossible, but they're also the only way to protect against STIs.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LunaFuega
Neophyte
Member # 30585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LunaFuega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am ready to have sex but I want to be on some method of birth control before I do it. How do I ask my mom if I can be put on birth control? I don't want her to flip out over the idea of me having sex.
Posts: 4 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her flipping out depends on how old you are, how old your boyfriend is, and how often and how successfully you've been able to discuss sex with her in the past.

You should check out these resources to get a better handle on whether you're wholly ready for sex.

http://www.scarleteen.com/sexuality/readiness.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/sexuality/ftmemoir.html

The mom-daughter BC discussion is usually awkward. But if she's an understanding mom, she'll help you out. If you can't have a talk with her and you want to go ahead without being on the pill, make sure to use condoms and lube every time.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LunaFuega
Neophyte
Member # 30585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LunaFuega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 16. My mom and I have had a few sex talks. She told me whenever I thought I was ready to have sex to let her know so I could go on birth control. But it's just hard for me to talk to her about that stuff because I don't want her to think less of me or to not trust me being alone with my boyfriend.
Posts: 4 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greta
Neophyte
Member # 30586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

I am 18 now, but I have been on birth control since 15 for period reasons, so I was lucky I never had to ask my mom. But I can tell you this your mom to tell you the truth will give you a speach and maybe she will freak out a little, but just think of it this way, what is going to be harder, asking your mom for birth control or telling your mom your pregnant. But never think birth control is 100% effective, your boyfriend should always use a condom, just to be really safe. Ans ask your mom, maybe take her out for coffee where the two of you can talk and with people around she will not freak out and start screaming. Just a thought.

--------------------
azz

Posts: 4 | From: South Africa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Greta, please do not continue to post in this forum. It is for volunteer advice ONLY. Thanks!)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.