Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » missing period & EP-test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: missing period & EP-test
tantilizin
Activist
Member # 8074

Icon 4 posted      Profile for tantilizin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was hoping someone could help me out.
Today is Sept 1st and I have missed my period for August. My boyfriend & I have been having sex periodically throughout the month of August, and we have always used condoms (i'm not on any other form of BC). Each time we always check the condom after to make sure everything is ok (meaning there is nothing leaking, it didn't rip etc) and everything has been ok, or so we thought.
I would like to take a pregnancy test, however I know there is a certain amount time in which a woman must wait in order to obtain the most accurate result. So I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if sometime this week would be a good time.
I am 20 years old and I'm not very regular, I get my period every month (except for February, b/c its a short month) however it never falls on the same day or the same week. So i can never judge when it is coming, i just base it on the last month!
For the month of May i was on my period from the 10th - 14, June 12 - 17th and July 17 - 21st. I was thinking that my period would have arrived by now considering it is Sept 1st. However, I am not feeling any of my usual symptoms (except for the moodiness -- but i think that is from the preg. scare!). Based on the information I have provided you, If I went out and bought a Pregnancy test on Tuesday and used on that day, would my reading be accurate? Also, I don't know which day would have been my possible pregnancy risk day, because I assumed the condom worked each time.
Thank you kindly for your time.

--------------------
baby you're all that i want when your lying here in my arms, i'm finding it hard to believe we're in heaven, and love is all that i need and i found it there in your heart, it isn't to hard to see, we're in heaven~

Posts: 43 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods generally will not occur on the same day of the month, because regular cycles are in a number of days, and the number of days in our calendar months aren't regular.

So, for instance, someone with an average 28-day cycle who had their period on Friday the 1st of this month would have it again on Thursday the 38th of this same month, then on Wednesday, the 25th of October, then on Tuesday, November 21st. See?

You can start to get a better idea of your cycles by charting, and then just counting the number of days in between each period's start day. After a few months, you'll start to see (you can already by what you've done here) how often to expect it, generally.

So, right now, looks like you're about two weeks late. You can go ahead and take a test now: for future reference, you can take a test at your first late/missed period, or at least ten days after your last intercourse risk, whichever comes first.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.