Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » period changing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period changing
eep.a.mouse
Neophyte
Member # 28023

Icon 11 posted      Profile for eep.a.mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 years ago I stopped taking the depo provera shot which i was on for 4 years(my hair fell out) but after a while my periods came back quite regularly. At the beginning of this year I had a 28 day cycle but throughout the year my cycle has been increasing. It is now at about 34 days, Im experiencing ovulation pains and PMT that lasts about 2 weeks! (My periods are still around 7 days and heavy).
I would like your opinion on whether this is normal as I loathe to go to my doctor only to be stuck on the pill to mask the symptoms!
Many thanks

Posts: 5 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unforunately, in order to help figure out why your periods are acting the way they are, a visit with a gynecologist is probably going to be your best bet. There's no way that we can give you a pelvic examination or discuss, based on your history/etc. what may be the best solution to your troubles.

(And, while what you're describing in your cycles is not abnormal, they are a bit on the long side and you may be able to figure out something to help you out with the length and pains you're having)

If you feel strongly about not going on hormonal birth control in order to deal with the symtpoms (which is completely fine and sensible) then just be firm with your gynecologist- tell them that you do NOT want to be on hormonal birth control and ask what you could do to help your cycles instead.

[ 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.