Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help
perfectshadeofdarkblue
Activist
Member # 29821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perfectshadeofdarkblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i posted a question a few days ago about whether or not i need EC from a risk i had (here's the post so you don't have to go back and look):

So, my boyfriend and I were having sex this morning. He stuck his (non condom covered) penis an inch or two into me before covering it with a condom and proceeding. I know this is a pregnancy risk.

I am on birth control, however. I'm usually very diligent about taking my pills at the right time and everything. But, on the first week of my last pill pack, my family went on vacation and due to events planned and the time change, I took one pill 5 hours late (outside the time window) and a few more 3 hours early.

Would those few late/early pills mess me up that badly that I have a substancial pregnancy risk? Should I consider EC, or would that be a waste because I'm already on BC? Today is the fist day of my new pack (got my period on the right day last week and everything). I've been on birth control for more than a year now - the patch from April-October, and the pill from November-now.. I know you can't be sure but could you give me some general advice?

Thanks for your help!

the thing is, I just remembered i've been taking antibiotics. does this change your answer at all? you said that since ive been on bc for so long and since the problems with taking it were in my last cycle, i woudlnt need ec.

Posts: 44 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering your risk and the fact that you're on the pill, i don't think EC is needed here.

You really can't be late/early w/ your pill though, if you want it to work its best for you. And if there are times when you're unsure (you've taken a pill late), use a condom.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perfectshadeofdarkblue
Activist
Member # 29821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perfectshadeofdarkblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I know you're probably right - and yes I will try to be consistent with the pill like I was before this previous cycle. We always use a condom regardless, sans this one time obviously.

I know this is probably annoying.. but what factors make you believe I won't become pregnant? I know I'm just freaking out, but I keep thinking about the fact that I a) was inconsistent a few times with the pill, and b) am taking antibiotics. He did urinate RIGHT before we did this.. does this have an effect on the amount of sperm in the pre ejaculate? Does pre ejaculate in some cases contain LESS sperm? And how exactly does birth control not work when you aren't good about taking it? Do you randomly ovulate or something?

sorry about all the questions.

Posts: 44 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of the antibotics, you would want to check your medication insert to find out if it is a type that compromises birth control. Also, if you were not taking the antibotics prior to (or directly around the time of the risk) then it could not have caused a compromise that would matter.

Regarding the inconsistent times, one moderately late pill and a couple of sorta late pills are unlikely to have compromised your coverage THAT much (especially as you had been taking it normally prior). You may not have been quite as well protected as you would be had you been taking them completely regularly, but they would not have been completely ineffective either (based on your description).

And how exactly does birth control not work when you aren't good about taking it?
The pills are designed to provide a constant stream of hormones to your body. So each pill has the correct amount of hormones for a 24 hour period. If you don't take your next pill at the correct time, your hormone levels can dip, which means that ovulation might be possible. (in a nutshell)

Regarding pre-ejaculate, sometimes it may contain sperm, sometimes it may not (or have more or less). If your partner urinated immediately prior to the unprotected contact, then it is fairly unlikely that it would contain sperm (as it would not survive the urine well).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perfectshadeofdarkblue
Activist
Member # 29821

I looked up the type of antibiotic and I found ONE website that said that it may result in a decrease of birth control's effects. Now I'm really scared, and it's too late to take Emergency Contraception. Hopefully my risk was so low that it won't matter.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.