Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could I be pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I be pregnant?
BastisGirl
Neophyte
Member # 30486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BastisGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a reply to this. It said I may have a STI. I don't know what that is but, we WERE both virgins. I will explain the situation thorougly this time. My periods are very irregular. I have 2-3 a year. I don't take a shot, birth control or any of that. It is just how I am. Yes, I had seen a doctor about it, maybe 5 years ago. She said it would pass and would become regular. It still hasn't but anyways, my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time with eachother or anyone for that matter. So there is no chance of STD, I know that. I started my period last Saturday, we had sex on Sunday-Friday and I was on my period the whole time. I think to estimate how many times we did it, I would say about 20 times with no condom, he ejaculated every time. I thought that maybe since my periods were so messed up that my ovaries weren't working properly so I don't know if i can get pregnant or not. Maybe I am wrong. I need answers from someone that actually knows what they are talking about because I get different answers from all my friends, and they are not a very reliable source. So could i use a pregnacy test? There is no way I could know by waiting for a missed period because chances are even if i wasn't pregnant, I still wouldn't have another one until about the end of this year or so. How can I do this? When should I go to the doctor? Is there any certain feelings I could have that may indicate I am pregnant? Can I even get pregnant? Please help me, it would be so greatly appreciated.
Posts: 3 | From: greeneville, TN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An STI is a sexually transmitted infection. As with STDs, these are not only transmitted sexually, which is why being a virgin does not exempt one from having any.

As for your risk: Yes, you've had a substantial one. Unprotected intercourse is a very high-risk activity. Even with sporadic periods such as yours, you can still get pregnant. You can take a home pregnancy test starting 10-14 days after your risk, using the first morning's urine. This is the only reliable indicator of pregnancy.

Either way, perhaps it's time to see a doctor again about your periods. 2-3 a year is not normal.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just to add to what DarkChild said-

Just because you have been so irregular with your periods, and it's possible that in the past you did not ovulate regularly, does not mean that this will automatically be the case EVERY time, which means that you can't know if it's possible that you DID ovulate now. Make sense? It's just not a risk that you want to take if you do not wish to become pregnant, ever. So, again, a pregnancy test, as early as 10-14 days from your last pregnancy risk (the last time you had sex) using the first morning's urine is going to be the way to know (If you get a negative result, wait one week and test again just to double check).

And rather than seeing a regular doctor; have you ever been to see a gynecologist? If not, this is probably who you should see about your missed periods this time around - if you do not know of a gynecologist's office you can call, you can get a refferal from your normal doctor.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.