Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » gyn?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gyn?
ABigCuriousDaughterhelp10
Neophyte
Member # 30465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ABigCuriousDaughterhelp10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm 18, had my period since i was in 13. i'm not sexually active. but i know i will someday have to go to the gyn....i don't want to. the thought of it is really extremely bad..it actually disgusts me. like i really don't want to go..i may never go. i can't even change in front of my own mother, how the heck am suppose to let some stranger look down there? i don't even think i'm right down there..cause i still can't use a tampon, like i don't know why. but i can never ever go to one. what can i do, like, what should i do?
Posts: 5 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can take some women a long time to become comfortable with using an insertable mesntrual product such as a tampon, and some women just prefer to stick to pads anyway. It's likely that you're just tensing up too much when you try to use a tampon, and that combined with maybe not putting it in completely correctly you're having difficulty. There is also a possibility that it could be something medical making it difficult you, but that you could not know unless you saw a gynecologist.

It is incredibly important to start seeing a gynecologist, and in fact we recomend that all women begin seeing one once they start mesntruating. Starting to see a gynecologist is important for a number of reasons:

If you ever had a vaginal infection, you would need to see one to have it diagnosed and properly trated, because infections when left alone can sometimes lead to very dangerous complications.

Annual gynecologists vists will include having tests done for early detection of some cancers, as well as being able to detect if you have a medical concern that could affect your health in general (such as not being able to insert a tampon, or something that could cause problems if you ever wanted to have children later in life, or something like ovarian cysts which can be harmless but can sometimes be of serious medical concern).

So, as scary as it may seem or as much as it may disgust you, gynecological care is something incredibly important for your health and something that you should definitely look into starting with now.

My best recomendation would be for you to at very first call into a gynecologist's office (if you do not know where to call directly, ask your general doctor for a referral) and schedule an appointment to come in and just SPEAK to a gynecologist. There, you can explain to the gynecologist the worries you have in receiving gynecological care, and you can ask all sorts of questions about the procedures they do, if they have had experience in the past with patients who are uncomfortable with annual visits, anything you want to to hear straight from a gynecologist you may be seeing that may make your time a bit easier, or at very least they know how to best help you receive the care you need and make it as painless as possible.

(And it may not be much consolation, but gynecologist, just like other doctors, see vulvas and vaginas ALL the time- there's pretty much nothing they have never seen and it really isn't a big deal to them, it's really no different from a dentist looking in your mouth, and in my opinion a heck of a lot painless [Smile] )

So, after you've had an appointment to just speak to a gynecologist, you can then go about scheduling a visit to have your first annual check-up! (And as a note, if you run into a clinic that doesn't want to give you an appointment to just speak to a gynecologist, or meet a gynecologist who is impatient or dismissive with your questions? Leave and see a different one who WILL listen to and help you out with your questions!)

Finally, our article on first gynecologist visits may help you out a bit: Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ABigCuriousDaughterhelp10
Neophyte
Member # 30465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ABigCuriousDaughterhelp10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the advice, i did read that article. and i understand that what the doctor sees and does is what she or he do all the time. but to tell the truth, reading on what they actually do, does not make me want to go more. like after reading this thing i felt maybe in the next year i could build up the courage....but, after reading that i'm even farther behind. i don't know. i feel bad. i wish they could just do that when i have a surgery or something, like i want my anoids (the things in the nose) taken out, so i wish they could just check up on me then. i was actually thinking this was possible until i read that they ask you questions like if something hurts. god i don't know what to do. the thought of going has the same reaction as getting a shot in the butt, i cry. like not wail, but the actually thought of going makes my stomach all quessy and i want to cry. i don't know
Posts: 5 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought about my suggestion of going in and speaking to a gynecologist FIRST, no exam included whatsoever, and discussing your fears with them directly? I really encourage that this should be your first step, because it gives you a chance to talk to the person you would directly be dealing with and they would understand your fears before you even thought about moving on to scheduling an appointment for an exam.

Also, have you ever thought of looking into seeing a counselor or therapist in terms of the anxiety you seem to be suffering with this? (And as a past anxiety sufferer, let me tell ya first hand that counselors are wonderful outlets and supports in overcoming and controlling anxiety)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.