Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is it possible to get some disease from this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible to get some disease from this?
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenSand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday i went to a store when i hold an object i had cut myself on the finger with a staple. it did not went deep, it was supperficial and i just started bleeding a few seconds before.

Do you think that is possible that some disease like HIV or something can be transmitted trough this contact.

How long will HIV survive on a surface like a staple?

Thanks

[ 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: GreenSand ]

Posts: 40 | From: Portugal | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. HIV/AIDS is mainly bloodborn, meaning someone else would have had to have pricked their finger on the stapler, had left blood on the stapler, and then have someone use it soon after. Not very likely.

So you don't have anything to worry about with this situation.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenSand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand it is not probable, but i can't get this out of my mind.

This happens because if i pricked my finger on the stapler on that object anyone else could have pricked his/her finger before i did.

When this ocurred i didn't think about the risk and i didn't check if the object or the staple had blood on it, i think not, i did not left blood on the object, because the prick was very supperficial and i just started bleeding a few seconds before.

I really want to forget this and go on with my life, because i know it's almost impossible, but i can't forget it. Hope i stop thinking about this soon.

Well thanks for replying

[ 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: GreenSand ]

Posts: 40 | From: Portugal | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, GreenSand, have you ever considered seeing a counselor or therapist to discuss some of the anxiety issues it seems you're having. I'm asking because this isn't the first time you've posted just not being able to forget a worry that is essentially IMPOSSIBLE, and a counselor can be a wonderful outlet to work out stress (even just day-to-day, common stress) and see if you can pinpoint why you might be having trouble with your worries.

(And really, say someone who WAS HIV positive happened to prick their finger on the same staple, they would have had to do so pretty much RIGHT before you did, as in you would have seen them do so, walk right up after them, and prick yourself, for there to be a plausible chance at ALL that the virus could be transmitted to you. People just DON'T get HIV the way you're describing.

So, try and keep your mind off it - get active, read a book, do other things you enjoy, because there's not eason for you to be worrying)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Thanks your post really helped me! And yes, i considered seeing a therapist or counselor to help me with my anxiety problems.

But the thing is that i never had this anxiety or worries before some time ago, and that is pretty strange considering i'm 21 and this problem started at this age. I always considered myself as an expert in this issues, such as DST's and Sex. And i already know the answers for the most questions i ask here, but i have this problem with stress, anxiety, fears about life.
I feel like the devil is going after me since a few months ago.

Again thanks for your help

anniemcfadden
Neophyte
Member # 30527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anniemcfadden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
Look I have a problem, my boyfriend and I where trying to have sex and we couldn't. I'm scared to try it again cause it's embarrassing because it's my fault. It didn't fit. He couldn't penetrate. What can I do? Or what can he do? could you reply to my e-mail adress? --edited-- I would appreciate it thaks.

[ 08-29-2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

Posts: 3 | From: Fl | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using lubrication and condoms? Are you fully aroused before attempting penetration?

If not, you need to try these things first.

Have you had a GYN exam? If not, this would also be a good place to start.

(Also, you can start your own thread w/ new questions ... Please try to avoid hijacking others' threads. Posting email addresses is against the guidelines. All quesitons are answered on the boards, not through email. Finaly, if your username is also your real name, you may want to get a new username. It is never a good idea to reveal your fullname online.)

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Sorry to insist but you say that if someone pricked the finger on the staple before me i had to contact right after him to have any risk at all.

I only insist because i compare it to needle sharing and shaving objects. Please explain me the difference,cause i know it is impossible but i'm getting paranoid over this.

Thanks

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You REALLY need to calm down. Your chances of getting anything from HIV from a staple is so miniscule it's unbelievable.

Needle sharing is a much riskier activity b/c HIV is transmitted by blood (among other body fluids). Same w/ sharing razors.

For you to be at any sort of risk, you have to come in contact w/ the blood, semen or breastmilk of someone infected w/ HIV and THEN this fluid has to make it's way into your body (through cuts on your skin, for example).

Check it out -- STI File: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Yes i understand needle sharing is much more risky.

But what happenen is that i pricked my finger on a object that had a staple on it on a store. I don't know if someone pricked is finger too or not, and i'm getting paranoid.

I already talked to my parents and they told me this was impossible, but i stile worrying about something i know it's stupid.

Anyways i'm considering see a therapist or counselor, someone who can help me with this stupid fear.

Thanks again for being there

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understand that when it comes to contaminated needles, these are needles that deal with a LOT of blood contact (think about it- like with a needle used to inject drugs, that's someone sticking a needle much more deeply straight into their vein, plus when it comes to drug use, a lot of intraveinous drug users will inject, but also draw blood back into the needle - so we're not just delaing with a lot more blood on the outside of a needle, but on the INSIDE as well, being then injected back into another person were they to share that needle). With things such as unsterile piercing or tattoo needles, obviously as well, you're dealing with a lot more blood contact.

A staple, although it CAN break the skin, is not going to do so very seriously or even all the time. Plus, the amount of the virus that could get tansferred onto the staple from a simple prick is CONSIDERABLY less than if you were to have say an open wound, or a needle put deeply into the skin or into a vein, with a considerable amount more blood.

And, like I said, again you're pretty much have SEEN the person prick his finger and then immediately gone and pricked your finger right after him for this to even be remotely possible.

As far as a counselor, I'd suggest if you're not sure of clinics or centers in your area that offer therapy sessions, a good first step would be to check with your general doctor and ask for a referral to a counselor/therapist. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

So, you think i don't have anything to worry about even if it happenned that someone pricked his/her finger before me, without me seeing it?

And yes, my contact was mainly on the skin, i did not bleed much and i just started bleeding a few seconds before pricked my finger, i think i did not left any blood on the staple.

Thanks again
I will try to avoid insisting on this topic, thanks

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really don't have anything to worry about here; there is just no way you'd contract anything this way.

How's it going finding a counselor for these anxiety issues?

[ 08-31-2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

It is going well, i have an appointment scheduled with my general doctor, and i will talk to her about this situation and she will guide me and tell me which counselor is best for me.

Now i'm a bit more relaxed about this, you really helped me, and i stopped drinking coffee, because it can help reducing my anxiety. I understand it's impossible to get some disease from a staple on an object in a shop.

Thanks

[ 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: GreenSand ]

GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

I'm sorry to come back again to this topic, just one last question for past and future reference.

Suppose that someone has a cut on his hand, but not bleeding, and that person shakes the hand of another person, if that person has a cut too, but not bleeding, is there any risk? I ask this without bleeding b/c no one shakes hands with the hand bleeding.

Again i still think that sharing razors is a contact similar to a staple prick where someone has been pricked before

Thanks and sorry

[ 09-02-2006, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: GreenSand ]

GreenSand
Activist
Member # 29241

Please answer me, i'm getting very depressed again

Sorry

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

We've already answered you. Numerous times.

Suppose that someone has a cut on his hand, but not bleeding, and that person shakes the hand of another person, if that person has a cut too, but not bleeding, is there any risk? I ask this without bleeding b/c no one shakes hands with the hand bleeding.

HIV is transmitted through blood (and other bodily fluids). If there is no blood (or bodily fluids) present, your risk is slim (and i'm talking VERY slim) to none. You do not get HIV from shaking hands (provided there isn't a major exchange of bodily fluids from that ... And really, would you go shaking hands w/ someone w/ both of your hands bleeding all over the place? Likely not.)

We do not have the time/resources to keep answering questions that have already been answered. You need counseling for your obsessions/anxiety, and that is something we cannot provide for you.

Since your question has already been answered (multiple times, but multiple people), i'm going to close this thread now. If you have any questions/comments as to the closure of this thread, please email Miz Scarlet at boards@scarleteen.com.

[ 09-02-2006, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.